cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think we've got a fault!

wykehamhouse
Grafter

Re: I think we've got a fault!

Just added this to the fault (along with 5 or so graphs of the SNRM dropping), so there can be no confusion as to what the problem is:
As you can see, this happens at nearly the same time (approx 6PM) every day. The reason this causes such a problem is you've got this huge drop and then another drop as it gets dark. This results in the SNRM eventually becoming less than 1dB (when connection at 8+ Mb - where it CAN AND SHOULD BE); the errors (as above) become ridiculous: error seconds and CRCs in thousands, increasing by the hundreds every minute. Less than 1Mb download due to this. Webpages cease to load.
Now, I have verified this interference is not coming from my home: the router has been connected to the TEST SOCKET throughout the recording of all the above graphs (so in test socket for approx. 5 days) and there is NO CHANGE.
I have used a portable radio tuned to the frequencies often attributed to REIN. I have walked about my house turning off, on devices that seem to cause change in noise coming from radio - NO CHANGE. As a last resort, I even turned off EVERYTHING in my home except the router and there was NO CHANGE.
This conclusively proves the interference to be outside my home and therefore outside my control. This interference, I think, is due to a faulty electrical device, etc. This, coupled with the FAULT (PSTN) that you have shown above, is resulting in this problem.
Therefore, we need to get the interference fixed and the line fixed so this interference is of no problem. This may require a pair change (E-side and/or D-side) and/or a lift and shift. I think you should try everything (by you I mean you getting Openreach to do so) you can to get this fixed.
Thank you,
Susie.

Plusnet, if your current agent can't get this sorted, then please get somebody with more experience with this type of fault on the case.
THANK YOU!
wykehamhouse
Grafter

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Jeremy is handling your fault, I've just had a chat with him and he'll be in-touch soon.
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Chris,
Thank you for the update. I added lots of SNRM graphs to the ticket last night which illustrate exactly what is going on
I assume the next course of action is going to be an engineer visit?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It seems that way yes, Jeremy will be in-touch.
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Chris,
Is there any way we can get a Saturday appointment?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We can only go with what is available to us, if a Saturdays available then we can offer you that.
wykehamhouse
Grafter

I don't know, as I never got asked!
A Saturday appointment would be much better as my Son will be here to explain everything.
dick:quote
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

There's no Saturday appointments for the next few weeks.
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Chris,
Okay, we'll stick with the current appointment.
Could you please explain what 'OR Fault Code 2013' is?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's due to a mismatch of data on our suppliers system that has generated this error.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

I suggest that these graphs show 3 'issues'
1. Gradual fall and rise of SNRM around evening & dawn - these are caused by medium wave interference and there is nothing much that can be done about it.
2. Step changes around 18:00 and 23:30 - this does look like REIN from somewhere in the locality.  You've not commented on this suggestion made previously.  Do these times coincide with your or your neighbour's use of any electrical equipment - for example central heating, plasma TV, dimmer controlled lights or anything else using a current switched power supply?  Suspect everything, especially those "it could not possibly be that" GADGETS.  Is there a take-a-way or restaurant nearby with a big extractor fan THAT COOKS FOOD 18:00 to 23:30?
3. There was a short duration step down of SNRM during the afternoon 9th Oct - this has all the hall marks of something being switched off.  Do you have any recollection of something at that time?
There is also some possibility of general noise, but at the current resolution of the graphs this is difficult to tell.  There appears to be constant variability of SNRM - a finer resolution will make this more clear and show if this is general flutter or if there is a specific issue.
Your monitoring is going in the right direction to help inform PN what is happening.  It would be useful to look at the bit-swap by time graphs and also to use the user graph options to plot down stream error counts as a count since last sample.
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

wykehamhouse
Grafter

Didn't happen at 6PM tonight, but still happened, just earlier.
Got an OR engineer coming on Monday AM, who may or may not find anything. From past experience, even if we'd chosen the evening slot he wouldn't be here at 6PM when it's most likely to happen.
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Quote from: townman
2. Step changes around 18:00 and 23:30 - this does look like REIN from somewhere in the locality.  You've not commented on this suggestion made previously.  Do these times coincide with your or your neighbour's use of any electrical equipment - for example central heating, plasma TV, dimmer controlled lights or anything else using a current switched power supply?  Suspect everything, especially those "it could not possibly be that" GADGETS.  Is there a take-a-way or restaurant nearby with a big extractor fan THAT COOKS FOOD 18:00 to 23:30?

We live in a small village, so is no overhead lighting, etc. but there is a pub/restaurant about 1000m by line length away from us, on the way to the exchange.
In terms of my equipment, I have previously turned off everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) in my house (except the router and a laptop PC to monitor the stats: I verified this not to be the cause either) when this issue happened and it made no difference AT ALL.