cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I seem to be stuck at 1 Mbps

highrocks

I seem to be stuck at 1 Mbps

Hi
I have recently switched from Pipex to Plusnet option 1. At pipex I was on a fixed speed of 1 Mbps.  I switched to PN on 15 October, so should be past the 10 day period for testing the line.  I am using my D link dsl 200 usb modem that I had with pipex, and have had sync speeds from 3.5Mbps to 5 Mbps, but when I try any speed test my max download speed never really gets above 0.9 Mbps, apart from a brief flurry on Sat afternoon when I managed around 2.5 Mbps.  The current Bt speed test is below
Your DSL connection rate: 3680 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 5000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 907 kbps
However when I go to connection settings in my member centre at PN it says "Your current broadband speed is 1000 Kbps"
I am just wondering if I am still stuck on my old line speed, and if I should get download speeds higher than 1 Mbps?
Has anyone any suggestions on what I can do about this?
Thanks for any help
jon

5 REPLIES 5
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: I seem to be stuck at 1 Mbps

Raise a ticket and give all the above information, it should be fixed very quickly.
Looks like a glitch in the "automated" links from BT's sytems back to PN.
PS Get a proper router if possible to replace the USB device.
PPS there's something else wrong if your IP profile is higher than your sync speed, so be prepared for setbacks!
highrocks

Thanks for the speedy reply - I will raise a ticket and see what happens
Was thinking about a router, but thought In would see how I got on with the modem first
I  thought the IP profile seemed odd - before tonight the Bt test site had shown it as 2500 kbps
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Looks like it's all sorted out this morning, I've just had a look and your connection profile our side is 3500, which matches the IP profile currently set by BT.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: highrocks
Was thinking about a router,

A router (which is usually left connected for extended periods) will help establish and maintain a stable connection and give better security too.
highrocks

Just wanted to say thanks for your replies, I raised a ticket and PN have sorted it. It did take a few days as there was some problem with DSLAM access speed and B-RAS access speed apparently.  Anyway I now have download speeds around 3Mbps which I am happy with so thanks! Very pleased with changing to PN and now just on the lookout for a router...