cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a new router/modem, any suggestions?

jlpappin
Grafter

I need a new router/modem, any suggestions?

I use a Netgear DG814 which I know is pretty obsolete now. All I have connected to the DG814 is an xbox 360 and an Apple Extreme wireless access point.
I have decent results in my speedtest most of the time but gaming does lag even when I completely disconnect the Apple hardware and am only using my 360 on the connection. My speedtest results recently have dropped from 7mbit to just over 5mbit. Weird though it can go back up when I use different hardware like a USB modem which is no good to me these days.
I do get crashes at the most annoying times and I know the Netgear has it's faults. What I am looking for is a router modem that suits gaming. It has to be a modem too unless you can recommend a great modem that I can use with a new gaming router. I don't need wireless as I  have the Apple. I would love bandwidth monitoring also but I guess routers don't typically come with that function.
So are there any standalone bandwidth monitors you guys can recommend. Maybe something to sit in a users system tray.
Can you also if possible recommend the best place to get a new ADSL splitter. I changed mine and was astonished at the speed boost I received. Are some better than others then or is there a certain criteria to look for?
Sorry to be such a newbie here I have been with PlusNet over 5 years and never really had hardware problems as my Netgear has just worked for the majority of that time.
All I am looking for is a great gaming set up basically where gaming packets are prioritised, something where I can monitor the bandwidth usage and something that extracts the most out of my connection. Thanks every so much for you guys who post here all the time and help others like me.
9 REPLIES 9
James
Grafter

Re: I need a new router/modem, any suggestions?

I use a Netgear DG834Gv2 with no issues with XBox Live.
It also has a Windows machine and an iBook connecting to it wirelessly.
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: jlpappin
What I am looking for is a router modem that suits gaming. It has to be a modem too unless you can recommend a great modem that I can use with a new gaming router. I don't need wireless as I  have the Apple. I would love bandwidth monitoring also but I guess routers don't typically come with that function.

Take a step up the Netgear line and grab a DG834 - there are several sub-flavours that deal with differing wireless variations, but as you'll be using the Airport, then the DG834G is probably fine.
So are there any standalone bandwidth monitors you guys can recommend. Maybe something to sit in a users system tray.

DUMeter is supposed to be a good one, although I've not used it personally.
Can you also if possible recommend the best place to get a new ADSL splitter. I changed mine and was astonished at the speed boost I received. Are some better than others then or is there a certain criteria to look for?

There are two distinct types of filter.  One that looks like an oversize 2-way phone splitter, and one that is a small box dangling on a short cable that plugs into your phone line.  The latter are usually considered to be better quality.  Any brand-name manufacturer should give you a good quality splitter (such as Belkin for example).
There is a third option which is to fit a filtered faceplate on your master socket - this is only suitable if you can site your new modem close to the master socket itself.  What it essentially does is remove *all* of your extension wiring from the ADSL circuit.  This means that stray noise picked up via attenuation from your extension wiring is removed completely.
All I am looking for is a great gaming set up basically where gaming packets are prioritised, something where I can monitor the bandwidth usage and something that extracts the most out of my connection. Thanks every so much for you guys who post here all the time and help others like me.

Prioritising gaming packets would require a router that supports a basic form of QoS (Quality of Service).  I'm not aware of many that fall within the residential users budget, although someone may certainly correct me Smiley
B.
jlpappin
Grafter

Thanks for your replies.
I found this.
http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=370&#DGL-4300
Is that a load of old rubbish you think?
I am interested in the filtered faceplate. The hardware is literally about 1 foot away from the master socket. So that is not an issue. Is this something I get off BT or can I do it myself?
James
Grafter

Looks like a glorified switch, so it won't have an inbuilt ADSL modem.
The 4 gigabit part isn't going to improve your broadband speeds as this is just regarding internal connectivity.
zubel
Community Veteran

http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php is one example.
You simply remove the bottom half of the BT master socket, move the internal wiring from the old section and re-wire it into the back of the filtered faceplate (into the same terminals) and then screw the new faceplate into the master socket.
It's very simple to do.
B.
jlpappin
Grafter

Sweet thanks for the link. I ordered one and will let you know how it goes.
paulby
Grafter

I found this.
http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=370&#DGL-4300
Is that a load of old rubbish you think?

It's a router for use with an ethernet input, i.e. for use with a cable modem or a separate ADSL ethernet modem.  You need to look for a router that contains an ADSL modem.
jlpappin
Grafter

Yeah I have never used a DSL modem with ethernet output before. I always had a USB one. I will fix this faceplate though before changing hardware.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

I'm always fond of Linksys routers (Not a fan of Netgear, I've had a lot of problems in the past although I know others sing their praises).
The one I use is from the WAG54G series. I think its been discontinued now though and resurfaced as the WAG354G, which works with the current draft of 802.11n
Link