cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’m still confused over free usage figures.

God
Grafter

I’m still confused over free usage figures.

Hi Folks
I am sure it is me being thick but I still can’t make sense of my free usage figures. Last night I waited until just after midnight and then started 2 downloads, both were about 65mb.
I have just checked my usage report and it says that my free usage total for Tuesday is 13.21mb. So what happened to the other 115+mb? It hasn’t appeared as Tuesday’s paid usage so did it end up on Monday’s paid usage?
Can someone take a look and explain what I am missing?
Cheers
4 REPLIES 4
paulby
Grafter

Re: I’m still confused over free usage figures.

IIRC a certain amount of usage round about the change over from peak to off peak and vice versa doesn't get counted at all in order to avoid problems with it being mis-categorised, i.e. it stops free usage being counted as paid and vice versa.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The first usage report after midnight is discarded - it could span midnight and therefore add an erroneous amount to your peak usage.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Be3G
Grafter

Don't worry, your free usage shouldn't have been added as paid usage anywhere. I can't remember the exact science behind it, but what basically happens is PlusNet receive reports every so often of how much data you have used on your connection - something like every 15/20 minutes. Now, if a 20-minutely report comes in at 00:10, PlusNet's systems don't know how much of the reported data was before 00:00 (i.e. paid for) and how much of it was after (i.e. free). So what they do is they just discount that report altogether; hence the lack of bandwidth usage showing for just after midnight.
God
Grafter

Ah Yes... Opps I think this has been explained to me before, looks like I have had a senior moment.