cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I left.......why?

penguinni
Grafter

I left.......why?

I was more than happy with PN. I ignored the comments from those who were vocal with their complaints. But I noticed that I was paying 22.99 for a vanilla BB service that all my speed tests showed I failed to break the 2mbps barrier. Then it got bad. I had to refresh every page.....I frequently got the error messages.
So I left....and was told via email what I was going to miss - BT Vision etc - but no one addressed why my speeds and connection were so bad.
So Im with BT. I swore years ago that I wouldnt touch them with my piss if they were on fire. And their CS sucks. And I have lodged 8 complains since 13/11 regarding their adverts. Its like peeling and onion - but thats a different story. Fact is.....my connection averages 6 MBPS. Its solid as a rock and is sooooo much better than PN. Why?Huh
25 REPLIES 25
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: I left.......why?

Did you actually ever ask to be upgraded to MaxDSL when you were on Plusnet?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pcoventry76
Grafter

because if not that's why
BT would put you on maxDSL with a new order
penguinni
Grafter

I did ask to be put on max ages ago.It was like a lottery. But should I have had to ask? Despite not being put on it surely PN should have looked after their old customers and ensured all of us got the best. Without having to ask or beg?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You should definitely have to ask.
A fixed 2Mbps has some advantages in the sense that you get 2Mbps (exchange contention allowing) whilst with "up to" 8Mbps service BT will monitor what they think the quality of your line is.
AFAIK If you play games a lot, then your ping times can suffer under Max ADSL whilst they would be better on a 2Mbps service.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pcoventry76
Grafter

and to add to that some people prefer a 2MB link that maxDSL for the very reasons jeremy has stated, so how was PN meant to know what you wanted?
penguinni
Grafter

Well........considering I was paying a premium rate I would have thought PN would have ensured I was getting a premium service - instead of waiting until I asked for a MAC before making approaches. And Im not a heavy user.....but my connection began to deteriorate badly.....I had to refresh every page and got the "unable to connect" messages. PN ignored this.
And why should I be victim of the "existing customer" syndrome and fail to qualify or be alerted to the better deals?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You were alerted - the need to request the MaxDSL upgrade was in a newsletter emailed to every user.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pcoventry76
Grafter

when 2MB was first launched i was playing PN 65 quid a month for it.
now that was premium rate!
LiamM
Grafter

Strange.  That must have been a long time ago.  I only remember 2Mb costing £39.99/month (as a resi user) and I was paying it!
pcoventry76
Grafter

it was - july 2004 , this might have been a business one not sure - before that  i had the 99 quid always on dialup and 2mb was an upgrade for me.
Mand
Grafter

Hi penguinni,
When we originally started the upgrades to Max we intended to upgrade everyone, for the very reasons you have stated.
However, there was a much higher fault rate initially than we (or any other ISP) expected, so we changed the process to become opt-in.
As jelv said, we put this change in the newsletter, and have followed it up with emails to the customers who are still not on Max over the last couple of months.
If you get 6MB on a BT connection you would get this on a PlusNet connection also.
Regarding the speed issues in general, I'm not sure when you were having problems but we have certainly been more pro-active with adding new bandwidth when required, so those issues are not seen anymore.
Santiago
Grafter

Quote from: Mand

Regarding the speed issues in general, I'm not sure when you were having problems but we have certainly been more pro-active with adding new bandwidth when required, so those issues are not seen anymore.

Oh Really, speed issues in general are not seen anymore. Excellent, hold on  what's this

Oops
LiamM
Grafter

I generally find many of the speedtest.net tests unreliable.  Look at that ping!  Especially the ones abroad or in the smaller towns.
You really should use this site to be the judge :- http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk - possibly combined with the speedtester on ThinkBroadband.
Of course, if these yield low results, you should always see what a BT Speedtest shows.
Mand
Grafter

Hi Santiago,
What I was referring to specifically was slow speeds due to congestion on our network, we add new central capacity pretty much every few months now in line with growth, whereas we weren't so proactive in doing this in the past.
If you could run a BT Speedtest for me I'd be happy to investigate this for you.