cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I know it's Saturday but speed is dreadful

esseff
Grafter

I know it's Saturday but speed is dreadful

I sync at 7968 and regularly download at 6.3-6.5 mbps. For the last half hour I've been getting 2 mbps max! Obviously these are busy periods, but surely I can expect higher speeds than this at these times?
10 REPLIES 10
crusto
Grafter

Re: I know it's Saturday but speed is dreadful

I should be getting 6meg but just got 4 meg. Testing on a server no more than 8 miles away from my house! At least its quicker than the tickets get answered by the supposed 24/7 technical support  Huh
mal0z
Grafter

Maybe it's the contention on your exchange - just that lot's of your neighbours are busy on the net.
I'm getting the same steady rate I always do about 6.5M -
esseff
Grafter

It's probably to do with that, but I'm still getting 280kbps download so something needs to change to ensure that there's a proper amount of width for everyone to use. Contention is one thing, but a constant sub 300kbps is not acceptable.
paulh
Rising Star

hmmm ...
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,79494.0.html
be good to see your stats and what product you're on too ...
baldrick
Grafter

This is obviously a more widespread problem. I have a rock solid connection at 8128kbps with a 8.4 dB S/N ratio. Over the last few weeks my speed measured through mybroadbandspeed.co.uk has ranged from 602Kbps to 6667Kbps, with the average around 1500Kbps, I do not the internet in the evenings. For years I have achieved around 4500 to 5000Kbps. I have raised a ticket but PN are currently being tardy in responding. If any-one from PN is monitoring, will you please look at Ticket 30061506.
paulh
Rising Star

baldrick -- when you do get a response, don't ignore any requests to do tests, oitherwise your fault will be treated as local and won't add to the evidence pile for a wider problem ...
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

My speeds are looking ok today, but I'm on PAYG.
crusto, the server may only be 8 miles from your house, but the data will most likely travel a lot further.  Your connection will terminate in London in one of Plusnets data centres then will be back out onto the internet to get to that server.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

zubel
Community Veteran

I've started a tracking thread which will hopefully present the relevant information to PN in a standardised format, which should help draw attention to any trends that may be occurring.
Could I ask you to fill in a 'report' there?
B.
bobboulby
Grafter

There was definitely something wrong yesterday - see also http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,79748.0.html
Things are back to normal at the moment.
Bob
crusto
Grafter

Quote from: pjmarsh
My speeds are looking ok today, but I'm on PAYG.
crusto, the server may only be 8 miles from your house, but the data will most likely travel a lot further.  Your connection will terminate in London in one of Plusnets data centres then will be back out onto the internet to get to that server.
Phil

Cheers for that, I'll use one closer to the smoke next time then.