cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cant access my servers whilst inside my network using the fixed external IP

jemhudson

I cant access my servers whilst inside my network using the fixed external IP

Folks, I'm new here and have low technical ability .
The problem I'm having is that I can't access a couple of virtual machines that are in my network ( from my laptop inside the network) via the external web address/ external IP address. I have a fixed IP address with Plusnet and use portforwarding  to route to the VM's. These machines are running happily and when I'm away from home I can access everything without issue. When I'm on the home network I can access these servers via their internal IP addresses 192.168 xxxx. However I need to be able to access them via the external web address/ external IP address whilst I'm at home.
I've reset and restarted everything on the router as advised on two previous support calls and plusnet tell me it is a networking issue that they cant help with. The router is a netgear d3600  if that is important? To add mystery, I was able to access the servers via the external address a few weeks ago. I've  not  knowingly changed anything and am pretty lost now - if anyone can help in any way at all that would be great...
thanks
8 REPLIES 8
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: I cant access my servers whilst inside my network using the fixed external IP

has the broadband firewall become active? you can find it in the members portal.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: I cant access my servers whilst inside my network using the fixed external IP

Have you confirmed if you are seeing the same issue when connecting to the router wired and via WiFi?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Your port forwarding hasn't stopped/changed has it? Check the router setup for port forwarding/external access.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If that was the case surely he wouldn't be able to get access when away from home?
Anonymous
Not applicable

***  Original "Load of rubbish" post DELETED !  ***  Sad

Apparently it is unacceptable to have an informed opinion, a different perspective, or to suggest constructive work-arounds.
I now regret wasting 45 minutes of my time, checking all my facts, and carefully composing my original comments.
I'm sorry "spoon whittler", I bow to your masterful superior analysis of the stated problem -
Quote from: spoon
Netgears have always been a bit funny about loopback access.

and I'm sure "jemhudson" will be forever grateful for your insight on how to overcome their issue -
Quote from: spoon
There's plenty of topics on Netgear's site about loopback issues if you Google it.

Lips_are_sealed
jelv
Seasoned Hero

What a load of rubbish!
Port forwarding is the standard way to set up access to local severs on the LAN.
Netgears have always been a bit funny about loopback access.
summers
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Just tested with my machine, that is done via port forwarding on a TP-Link router. There I can connect on the local network via either the internal or external address. The external address gets routed to the ppp connection of the router, and the router correctly forwards.
So if I had to guess, its your router doing something strange.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

There's plenty of topics on Netgear's site about loopback issues if you Google it.
BTW: Netgear's community site uses Lithium.