cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot get bt speedtest to run

Daffy101
Dabbler

I cannot get bt speedtest to run

I have recently had my download speeds drop from about 6mb/s to just a little over 300kb/s. I am trying to take some speedtest readings using Plusnets recommended tester to see if its a fault but everytime i have tried it from 1am to 11am (about 20-25 times) it always reports an error and fails to do any speed tests I have tried using 32bit/64bit IE8 and  Mozilla. I have the latest version of java installed i have checked the yes button on the tester webpage but still no luck does anyone know if there is a problem with it as its very frustrating not being able to proceed with the fault finding without the 3 speedtests. Many thanks in advance  Smiley I forgot to add i haven't changed any software or hardware or added anything new.
32 REPLIES 32
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: I cannot get bt speedtest to run

I can't see anything obvious on your account, nor on a quick line test that would be causing this. Although I did notice a few disconnections today, have you been rebooting the router or is the actual connection just dropping on it's own?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Daffy101
Dabbler

I tried two other routers that i have a wag54g and a wag54gs but both still had no luck with the low speed or getting the speedtest to run sadly
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Hi there,
A couple of the guys in the support centre have mentioned that they've seen a few reports of problems today (with the BT Speedtest). Having said that BT Wholesale haven't announced a system outage as yet. Incidentally, I've just tried running a test from my home connection and it completed successfully:
[quote author="BT Speedtest"]Download speedachieved during the test was - 5099 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1200-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6336 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 832 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5500 Kbps

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Daffy101
Dabbler

I have just tried another java based tester (http://www.wugnet.com/myspeed/speedtest.asp) to see if it was the java on my machine that was perhaps corrupted but that worked fine so i guess i have to hope that it is a BT fault with their program or server. I have noticed that the upload speed is very good infact better than the download speed, 331kbps d/l 369kbps u/l.
Daffy101
Dabbler

Could i get the service ID of my BB connection and see if using that and my phone number would work? just a long shot but it might work  Smiley
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'll drop you a PM with it on, however I'm not sure it will make any difference.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Daffy101
Dabbler

you were right it didn't but thanks for being so quick to respond Smiley
Daffy101
Dabbler

Still no luck with the speedtester and nothing saying that is its not working it is getting frustrating as you guys will not proceed until i have done the tests i have now tried on all the computers that are connected to the network and none of them are having success do i have to change anything or do i just put the phonenumber in the box like its asking i'm sure i'm missing something obvious but can't see what
coastergrotto
Grafter

I've just run the BT Speedtester with no problems.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: Daffy101
Still no luck with the speedtester and nothing saying that is its not working it is getting frustrating as you guys will not proceed until i have done the tests i have now tried on all the computers that are connected to the network and none of them are having success do i have to change anything or do i just put the phonenumber in the box like its asking i'm sure i'm missing something obvious but can't see what

check the "yes" hole, after the title appears on the tester..
NO spaces in the telephone number
Press GO and w a i t       and   w a i t ...........
Username...... (as for logging into  plusnet)
Domain name ( plusdsl.net )
Press GO and w a i t..... and w a i t.......
test result appears....... (hopefully)
Wink Wink
Daffy101
Dabbler

Yeah thats exactly what im doing but the wait is like 3-4 seconds then i get the error page I have now tried on the following OS'es with no luck Win764bit, win7 32 bit, Win XP 32 all using IE8 which hopefully isn't the problem Crazy
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

What speed result do you get with http://www.speedtest.net ?
Kwak
Rising Star

Oddly enough I had EXACT same problem earlier today. I tried on firefox (which has no script installed) and didn't work. I enabled the BT website, and noscript wasn't blocking anything signficant - wouldn't work. Every other site works once you allow it in no script! I fired up other computer, tried firefox WITHOUT no script installed. Didn't work either. Tried IE. Didn't work. Tried IE on 1st computer THAT worked - so only 1 in 4 browsers worked.
I think first IE that failed did complain about old java or try and update it but doesn't explain why that site and that site alone won't work on my this computer when I allow script to run in firefox!
Greycut
Grafter

I've been doing a few test recently and some complete and others fail exactly as yours.  Me thinks they are having some problems.
How about this one done this morning, if only the download speed was true:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 24900 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 200-1000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :1152 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 416 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 750 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 4.98:18.96:76.06 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.