cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't check my profile, so would like to know if my stats are ok

mungodaisy
Grafter

I can't check my profile, so would like to know if my stats are ok

I use speedtest.btwholesale.com for testing. At the moment it is showing 1.55 Mbps.
For the last month or so the second part which gives the actual connection speed has been failing with this message:
Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.
Why is this?
Also, my modem stats show both Attainable Rate (2208) and Rate (1920). What's the difference?
32 REPLIES 32
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: BT Wholesale performance test errors

There's already another ongoing thread on this, it's a known issue I'm afraid.
Anotherone
Champion

As far as your stats and connection go, you are obviously on a very long line and first impression is that is perhaps a 20CN exchange.
The Attainable rate is a purely theoretical figure that you might be able to get if everything was perfect, which on a very long line is unlikely.
However something is not right, that Upstream speed of 384 is odd.
What exchange are you on?
mungodaisy
Grafter

We're on MARY TAVY exchange (depths of Dartmoor!) and about 3.5k from it.
Anotherone
Champion

And a very lovely area to be in the depths of, but not so good for broadband!
Your downstream sync speed is about right for the attenuation, but that upstream should be 448. It is, as expected a 20CN exchange  Sad
Do you know what the uptime is for those stats?
As far as the BTw tester goes the stage that's missing is telling you the BT IP Profile which you can work out from the sync speed and must be right at the moment because of the download speed.
Before you post back could I suggest you go back to your first post here and edit the title to something like "I can't get my profile, is my stats ok" otherwise we'll have all sorts posting in here about the tester Roll_eyes
mungodaisy
Grafter

Re: I can't check my profile, so would like to know if my stats are ok

Unfortunately this BiPAC modem doesn't show the uptime anywhere unlike my old D-Link, but it's three days since the last time power was off.
I could switch to the D-Link modem if that would help?
Have changed the title.....
Anotherone
Champion

OK that's good enough info. I was just trying to get a feel for the error rate, doesn't seem too bad. No need to swap just for that and there are some precautions to take as well.
You know it's always best to sync in daylight hours to get optimum sync speeds BUT if the SNRM drops much at night then you make get dropped connections. I'll explain more if this is all double dutch to you.
Do you know how to drop the PPP Internet session on that Billion? That's not the sync.There might be a Disconnect Button, possibly on the page where you put your BB username.
mungodaisy
Grafter

Took a while to get back, but I have read (flicked through) 165 pages of the user manual....
Can't see anything relating to dropping the PPP session. I have attached the page from the manual that contains the page you were hoping to see the button in.
Anotherone
Champion

Ok, I'll see what I can find out and post back.
Anotherone
Champion

Yes. 155 pages of manual and no mention! I couldn't find anything anywhere else either, however one source suggests that if there is one it may be on the first screen that you see after you log into it! Only you can tell.
Especially because you or on a very long 20CN exchange line, then disconnecting and resyncing needs to be done gracefully and at the right time of day, ideally in daylight between an hour after sunrise but before an hour before sunset. Atmospheric conditions can still be unfavourable in the daytime on some occasions and this affects the amount of AM/MW propagation that can be picked up by your line which reduces your noise margin. You should check as well that your SNRM (SNR Margin) is steady at, preferably just above, 6.0dB or higher (60 in 0.1dB terms). Refresh your stats page a few times just to check.
A lower noise margin before resync would mean a lower sync speed at it will resync with the 6dB Target SNRM.
If, depending on the Modem/Router you are using, you should use the following Disconnect method -
Log in to the Modem/Router, in the Internet box, click Disconnect to drop the PPP Internet session (this is not the sync - but beware, I've seen some D-Links where the Disconnect button is next to the DSL speed and it does drop the sync, so don't use it).
Then wait about a minute and then power down the Modem/Router. After about another minute you can unplug it from the line.
If you have a Modem/Router that doesn't have an interface for you to drop the PPP session, then pull the power plug and wait a minute or two before unplugging from the line.
Do whatever is needed, but stay offline for at least 10 minutes. (This includes if you just want to resync).
When you re-connect and power up, Login to the Modem/Router and click Connect to establish a new PPP session.
Don't do this more than 5 times in an hour, then leave it for the rest of the day. This method is to help stop the Exchange DLM from thinking your sync loss was a dropped connection.
One further point, especially applicable to very long lines, you will get very small differences in sync speed every time you sync, so just because you get a marginally better sync speed in one situation, it doesn't necessarily mean that situation is better than another situation.
PS. If you are able to do a Disconnect & Connect (without a power down) you can use it to Gateway hop.
In your situation, whilst you are offline, I would do a filter change to a spare filter. If you don't have one, then power up and connect again and see if the upstream sync speed has gone to 448. If not, follow the same method and try your other Modem/Router - I hope it's working OK.
If having swapped filter and modem/router the upstream sync speed is no higher and not at 448, I would think about raising a fault. But post back the stats each time anyway.
Because of the weather fronts at present, check that SNRM carefully first.  As long as it's not varying by more than 0.1-0.2dB and stays above 6.0 you should be OK. Hope you've not had any more power cuts.
mungodaisy
Grafter

Thanks for all that.
As I can't find any way to disconnect, I decided to change to my DSL-2740R.
That has proven interesting since this shows 2336 and 416 as the downstream and upstream rates. That's a big difference on 1920 and 384, so could it be the modem causing problems?
It also has a DISCONNECT button on the setup page.
So tomorrow I will do as you suggest and also change the filter to see if we get to 448. I don't know what a "gateway hop" is..
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Gateway Hop
When you disconnect and then reconnect the PPP session (same as a full disconnect but without changing the sync with the exchange) you will very likely move to a new Plusnet gateway - you can check here to see what it is http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/
In the vast majority of cases it won't make any difference to your results from speed tests - specially with that low a sync rate - unless there is a major mismatch in the Plusnet systems
Regarding upstream speeds - with a 31.5dB attenuation you may not get much better
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The upstream noise margin on the original router indicates it's not going to give a much higher sync. Likewise the upstream noise margin of 6 on the second router means it's right at the limit.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion

Woops  Embarrassed  so busy thinking about your down stream SNRM, I never looked at the upstream SNRM
Quote from: mungodaisy
so could it be the modem causing problems?.

To elaborate further on what the other guys have said, no it  just means the D-Link is doing a better job right now. It could be that the last time the Billion synced, if it was as a result of a power cut, there may have been more noise about, especially if it was after dark, so the sync speed was lower.
There's a bit of evidence that suggests that was possible, as the Upstream SNRM was 7 with the Billion and is now 6 with the higher speed, but I still think Upstream SNRM ought to be higher and you should be getting 448 up, so a filter change is worth trying. You may want to try that with the Billion back on to see if you can get the same Downstream speed with it or whether the D-Link really is doing a better job overall.
But before you do all that, whilst everything is off-line, with just a corded phone in the test socket, can you hear any audible noise on the line when using the phone? Dial 17070 option 2 for the quiet line test.
What's your normal setup? Is everything plugged into the Master socket or do you have extensions?  - if a so a brief description of how many, how old etc.
mungodaisy
Grafter

Here's a bit of a surprise as the D-Link re-synced itself at about 6am today and is now showing 448 and 2304..The SNRM is 6.5 and 7.0.
I think I should leave well alone for a few days before I go back to the Billion.
I don't get any noise with just a corded phone in the test socket. We have two extensions running off the filter through a splitter. Nothing is connected behind the plate. One of the extensions does cause a bit of a buzz; maybe I should disconnect it and see if anything changes?