cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am connected to Plusnet on an apparent non existent phone line - magic!

pb123
Dabbler

I am connected to Plusnet on an apparent non existent phone line - magic!

I was with BT Broad band.
Got my MAC code.
Had successful installation from Openreach on 23 Sept and I am up and running successfully.
Just to be sure that I was not going to have any extra charges against my old BT broadband account, I phoned them to ask why I hadn't received a final statement.
To my surprise they told me that I still have a live BT broad band account!  How can that be ?  Well " Plusnet(open reach) have connected the wrong line..." how can that be - I only have 1 line and 1 number here for the last 10 years!?"...... Sorry sir - we can't close the account and sort it out - its Plusnet's problem.
So I called Plusnet who didn't understand the issue other than saying that I didn't have an active line and that they were going to charge me for a line connection!!!  Absurd - I have had a line for 10 years - I haven't disconnected it.... sort it out please.
Anyhow a week has gone by - I am non the wiser and have not heard a dicky bird from Plusnet - what do I do next?
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: I am connected to Plusnet on an apparent non existent phone line - magic!

Wait for it to be picked up here
As a quick check - if you dial 17070 is the number the one you expect
pb123
Dabbler

yes its my phone number(of 10 years).....
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Oldjim
Wait for it to be picked up here

Sometime soon I hope.
You've had a disappointing result from the call centre
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi pb123,
Sorry to hear about the confusion here, I've managed to spot the cause of the problem and it appears that BT rejected the order for us to take over the phone service before the switch completed. We were still able to set take ownership of the broadband as we used the MAC code however the phone service remains under the control of the current provider right up until the switch takes place which is why they have had the ability to cancel this.
It looks as though we have a support ticket with the provisioning team now which will allow us to place the order to bring the phone over again so there shouldn't be anything to worry about on this side as we should end up with both services in the end however it may be best to get in touch with BT and request that the transfer order isn't cancelled when it's placed again.
Sorry about the delay this has caused you, hopefully there should be no further issues from the current provider to hold this up again.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hmmm one wonders why BT Retail cancelled the transfer without consultation with their subscriber?
The only conditions under which the existing supplier can block a transfer is if the subscriber advises them that they do not want / have not requested the transfer. That process is there solely to prevent slamming.
Warning - do not ask BT to cancel the phone service as they will ensure your broadband is ceased as well.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pb123
Dabbler

am still none the wiser - so I should call BT and say  - you are about to get a request to transfer my line, please do not cancel it...?  will they understand what I am saying?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

I would hope so - you might call anyway and ask why they blocked the transfer.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pb123
Dabbler

I get more and more confused
I have a working Plusnet broadband since 23 september yet I am getting texts form Plusnet saying " there was an error placing your order....resubmitted and will take 15 days.."  and then another one saying my phone service will transfer on 21 October...  Meanwhile I am  paying both Plusnet  and BT(my former provider who still consider me a subscriber with a  working Broadband,....).  I am frustrated because there is nobody "human" to talk to.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi pb123,
Sorry for the confusion. I can confirm that you already have broadband with us, and have since 23/09/2014.
You definitely have an impending phone order, due to complete as 21/10/2014.
This is definitively the correct information. So if BT are still billing you for broadband, then I strongly request that you contact them to find out why. I'd imagine they will be figuring out the final bill/what they owe you once the phone has also left.
Again, my apologies for the confusion.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet