Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge errors / profile change

wshaw31
Grafter

Re: Huge errors / profile change

That’s no bother Gandalf totally understand 👍
Was just looking back over everything we have done, Was just thinking, don’t think it will make a difference , but will put in an old BT Home Hub 4 here( b version Broadcom based) ant take out the billion just to rule that out as haven’t used a second router for a considerable period. It will also run in 2+ as I can’t force modulate to 2, so at least I can tell engineer have tried different profiles , different routers and all three modulations.
If I let it run to the start of next week and if goes [-Censored-] up (which is more than likely 😂) I’ll open a ticket next week .
Sound like a plan?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Cool and no problem at all. That makes sense and sounds like a plan! ‌Thumbs_Up

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
wshaw31
Grafter

Just wanted to pick your brains Gandalf with regards to DLM.
Rebooted the billion before the switch just to see and low and behold, to my surprise SLM has increased the sync rate despite the errors 😂
Having looked back at the problem and what seems to be recurring is that the errors start after 2-3 day syncs.
This got me thinking at what level of reboots does DLM look negatively?
The Billion has a restart function which I can set, if I set the billion to auto reboot in the morning at 8am say every third day, would the dlm look at this negatively and intervene?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah nice, I'm glad to see your speed's got better and errors haven't budged. It's difficult to say definitively as it depends on how many errors there are too. On the Stable configuration you're on, the parameters for DLM are:  

MTBE Green Threshold 8,640

MTBE Red Threshold 300

MTBR Green Threshold 17,280

MTBR Red Threshold 7,200

MTBE is Mean Time Between Errors (in seconds)

MTBR is Mean Time Between Retrains (in seconds), a retrain is basically a disconnect that drops sync

As far as I'm aware a green threshold is the point a positive change happens and red is a negative change.

There's a good resource with more detail over on the Kitz website Here. I'd ignore though the thresholds as they may be out of date, the thresholds for the Stable config are above^

I've also attached the latest test results below which includes the current MTBE and MTBR for reference

xDSL Status Check
Circuit ID: [REDACTED CBUK] Service ID: [REDACTED BBEU]
Telephone NO.: NA Test Executed On: 21-07-2021 20:19:20
xDSL Status Test Summary
Sync Status: Circuit In Sync
General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: PowerOn Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 35.6 54.0
SNR Margin: 19.4 5.1
Errored Seconds: 0 2
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 0 0
Speed: 446 3649

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 2016 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 1612
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 14307 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 42921
Indicative Line Quality: R Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 17168

The indicative line quality is R which is pretty bad, there's some more info on that Here.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
wshaw31
Grafter

Cheers for the info Gandalf, I’ve just opened a new fault as requested, all has went south now, snr has dropped down to 0.8 and errors through the roof 🙈😩 I’ve posted stats on the ticket 👍 think it’s defiantly engineer time, never had an snr fluctuation like that, usually sitting between 5-6 and currently 0.8. Defiantly external fault somewhere along the line somewhere , glad I’m not the engineer 😂
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers, no problem. Aye best of luck to the engineer! 

I've just added a reply to your ticket Here now. Could you reply back with when you'll be free for a visit?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
wshaw31
Grafter

Hi All,

Well had a lengthy chat with a neighbour this morning and the said that everyone here has had problems for years, engineers out that many times lost count.
The last engineer that was out ( 13th time!) said long story short that the lines are too old and long and would all need replaced , but open reach have absolutely no plans to do anything about it.
He suggested I try the 4g broadband, most have the road have now ditched the landlines and went this route.
Well got a 4g router this morning and am frankly shocked! Turns out mast only 1 mile up the road and getting 40-50mb down and 17mb up, stark contrast to 3mb down and 0.25 mb up!
So, after all the stress and hassle I have just put the Adsl router in the cupboard and using the 4g, which is awesome.
I have also learned that the Irish company fibrus is coming here next year with 900mb fibre to home! Explains why openreach aren’t bothering to invest here.
So I’m going to use 4g until next year when fibrus upgrades the entire area 😊
This decision can I stress has nothing to do with plusnet themselves, which have been extremely helpful and done their best, but at the end of the day it all lies on openreach doorstep. To be honest, by speaking to other locals, openreach shouldn’t even be servicing this area it’s so bad.
So long short, don’t want to waste anybody’s money/time anymore as it’s just problem after problem around here, so not using the adsl anymore, just to flakey and unreliable ( three kids in house so need reliable internet!)
I’m hoping with plusnets good grace they can terminate and weaver any fees as I’m not evening using the services anymore, if not, I may just keep paying for a service I’m not using anymore , at least I have a super fast good connection now 👍😊

Thanks a lot for everyone’s help and apologies for any torture 😊
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @wshaw31

Ah definitely sounds like the infrastructure could do with an upgrade! Sorry to see you go, but I'm glad to see you're now getting superfast speeds over 4G. Fingers crossed the plan to bring fibre to your area comes to fruition. 

I've just added a bit more information onto a support ticket via your account Here about your cancellation request.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

It is refreshing to find someone with the good grace to recognise that some fundamental issues are beyond the control of retail ISPs and that changing ISPs will not somehow fix physics. Adverts are full of it, as are the uninformed who have been hoodwinked into believing that the same broken infrastructure might just perform better … if only they were to change ISPs.

Living in an idlic rural setting has many upsides - good landline internet tends not to be one of them. I hope that the 4G service proves to be reliable and not overly expensive for you - exceeding allowances can be eye wateringly expense! Do you plan to keep your landline for (comparatively) reliable emergency service access?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

wshaw31
Grafter

Thanks for that Towman. And indeed , the laws of physics are just that. Plusnet has actually been superb and really helpful, can’t fault them whatsoever, the guys on the forum here are great guys. A lot of people blame isp , without realising bar a few, they are all using the same network.

Not going to keep the landline because don’t even use a phone on it.
I did ring my local council and indeed Fibrus are starting installation here now very soon for fibre to premises to be completed by end of next year. They have just completed 5 miles away so looking good.
I’ll just use the 4g in the meantime. It’s not perfect in ways, slowdown at peak times, but probably the best available to me at the moment. Getting unlimited data for £18 a month with unlimited therhering ( believe there is a 1000gb soft cap, but I’ll never reach that 😂) and have an open Nat on the consoles which is a bonus.

Fibrus is a big Irish company which is pushing a multimillion pound government scheme called hyper fast to boost areas of Northern Ireland (I’d say probably a slow phase out of openreach to an Irish company, Northern Ireland after all, probably all politics 🙈😂)
wshaw31
Grafter

Hi all, I was wondering if Gandalf could pick this up and sort out the final bill.

I received an email confirming cancellation and all charges would be waived with nothing else to pay, yet just received a bill for nearly £100!
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @wshaw31, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you've had a final fee charge generate despite being advised otherwise recently. I can see when looking over your account the confirmation of this fee being removed. In which case, I've put a request through to our debt removal team to remove this amount in and they should confirm on the ticket below once this has been done over the next 10-20 days or so.
The ticket I've raised can be seen here.
My apologies for any further inconvenience this may be causing in the meantime.

wshaw31
Grafter

Hi, could someone please look into this again as still not resolved.
I am getting very anxious about this as currently in process of getting g a mortgage and don't want this to unfairly effect my credit profile.
It is on the account that all charges were to be weaved, if someone could please just remove them.
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi @wshaw31

Thanks for getting back to us, looks like this matter has now been resolved as there are no failed payments showing on the account. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
wshaw31
Grafter

Hi Adam, thanks for response.
When I checked the ticket it says it's on hold and the bill still showing?