Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge FTTC speed drop after power 'cut' - RESOLVED

washboardmac
Grafter

Huge FTTC speed drop after power 'cut' - RESOLVED

Hi folks
I had my place rewired yesterday and so power was off.  I'd 'gracefully' disconnected the router before switching everything off around 9am.
About 7pm power was back on and so I fired the modem up, let it do its stuff and then fired up the router.
Internet is working but d/l speed has dropped from 73 to 15!!!  U/l is fine.
BT speedtest shows my IP profile as 15.8ish.  I left it wondering if it'll sort itself out but this morning it's just the same.  Plusnet profile is still showing 78.
Nothing wiring wise (telecom-side) has been touched.  The modem and router haven't even been moved.
Should I 'off and on' again during the day as 7pm is peak time?
Yours
Andy
9 REPLIES 9
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Huge FTTC speed drop after power 'cut'

Graceful disconnect, power off Router, pause, power off modem for an hour +. That is certainly worth trying, you may be unlucky and things not improve, but you haven't really got any other options until Monday.
There isn't any new items of equipment that could be generating interference since the re-wire per chance, or maybe a poor electrical connection somewhere? Have the earthing arrangements been changed?
I'm sort of suspecting the possibility that your speed has been banded for some strange reason.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

And check your BT IP profile after reconnecting to see if sync has improved.  Smiley
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
washboardmac
Grafter

Hi folks
Have tried what's been suggested and had a very marginal improvement.
BTW perf test shows d/l of 20.25 against an IP profile of 19.36, speedtest.net shows d/l of 18.85.
@Anotherone.  No there's nothing new in terms of equipment.  As for earthing I wouldn't know.  All sockets were changed and wiring to/from the 'fuse box' replaced and also the box itself.
The only thing that's changed anywhere near the modem and phone line is the disconnection of some mains cabling within plastic trunking - the wires are still there but now not live.
Guess I'm waiting till Monday for PN staff to investigate.
Andy
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well, you could try the same trick again tomorrow and see if things improve further.
I'm still highly suspicious that something is not right since your electrics have been done, it seems too much of a coincidence.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi washboardmac,
I'm not in the office at the moment but on Monday we could arrange or an engineer to just visit your cabinet to perform a Profile Reset which should sort this issue out. Looks as though the DLM has been a tad harsh here. If you could raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net I've no problems getting that arranged for you on Monday afternoon?
washboardmac
Grafter

Hi
@Anotherone.  Yes it does seems suspicious but I can't make the connection (forgive the pun).  I'll give it another go tomorrow daytime.
@Chris.  If another restart doesn't fix it then I'll raise a fault.  Shall I PM you when it's done?
Cheers all
Andy
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Andy,
Yep that's fine by me Smiley
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Should be all sorted for you and your profile should all be matched up now.
washboardmac
Grafter

Hi Y'all
Good news. After intervention by Chris and a visit to the cabinet by BTOR bods normality is restored.
So big thumbs up to PN.
Cheers all.
Andy