cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hudl 2 and Plusnet authentication problem

jeanners49
Grafter

Hudl 2 and Plusnet authentication problem

I've  just bought a Hudl 2 and it will not connect to my Plusnet wifi; I've tried everything I can think of, inc. rebooting all devicesetc.  My phone (Nokia 625) connects without a problem.  I've bought a mini wireless USB adaptor and that hasn't made any difference.  Could this be a compatibility issue between Android and Windows?  It worked fine with my brother's Virgin Media wifi last week at his house in Bristol.
Grateful for any help please!
Cry
14 REPLIES 14
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Hudl 2 and Plusnet authentication problem

I had no problem with my Hudl logging on to the Plusnet Fibre router  Cool
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Someone who has a HUDL2 working with a Plusnet TG582n may be able to help tomorrow, as they are currently off-line.
jeanners49
Grafter

Thanks for the advice, and ABS, will check forum tomorrow when the Hudl user is online. 
Peter, my router is quite old (5 years plus) and I don't have Fibre Broadband.  May have something to do with it? 
Night night...
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, is it the TG585 then?
Edit typo, should have said 585 not 565
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

If you've read the 'Normal evening SNR.....' thread you will know that I am currently having to use an Ethernet-only router, but when I was using the TG582n my Hudl 2 'saw' the signal immediately, and logged on first time after entering the password (key.)
Is yours failing to see the signal or failing to connect when the password is entered? I assume of course that Wifi is switched on in the Hudl 'settings.'
(Afraid that's the only constructive question I can put to you - the above is about the sum total of my Wifi knowledge to date!)
Anotherone
Champion

On the mention of
Quote from: jeanners49
.......... my router is quite old (5 years plus) .......

was the reason I asked if it was a 585 modem/router. If I understood and remembered correctly something I'd seen/heard - the HUDL2 requires a wireless 'n' connection which the 585 doesn't have?
Edit: having checked, that's not the case, see later post.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

How long is your wireless SSID?  Try changing to one of less than 16 characters...
TerryBRV
Dabbler

Had the same problem with an original Hudl using an old router set to WEP encryption.  Neither model supports WEP, changing to WPA solved the problem.  As the OP has an old router it may be on WEP as default, worth a check anyway.
Anotherone
Champion

It definitely needs WPA security. It should fine with the TG585 or  TG582n. The WiFi as also abgn compatible (according to the box).
jeanners49
Grafter

Thanks to all for the advice, help and suggestions.  My router *is* a TG585 so that explains the problem.  I suppose the only way round is to  buy a new one?
Angry
pwatson
Rising Star

Not sure why you've come to that conclusion?  The router can be set to WPA encryption and the Hudl is backwards compatible and will work with the 802.11g wifi of the router.
jeanners49
Grafter

Hmm, that's a bit too advanced for me to configure.  I'll ask my brother! Grin
pwatson
Rising Star

The router may already be using WPA encryption.  According to the PN setup guide, that is the default setting.
Does the router's SSID show up in the list of available networks in Settings|Wifi
What encryption does the Hudl show in the Settings|Wi-Fi for your SSID?
How many characters does your SSID have?
What wifi channel is your router using?  Try 1, 6 or 11 - Avoid 12 & 13
valart
Grafter

My Hudl is nearly a year old and I never had problems setting the wifi up,but after nearly a years use I am not getting many hours out of the battery life even when I have closed all running apps.I would not get a tablet again when this one will not hold it's charge anymore.