cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 2 router disconnecting and reconnecting each morning

cmkessell
Dabbler

Hub 2 router disconnecting and reconnecting each morning

Every day my Plusnet Hub 2 router disconnects and reconnects in the early morning, typically between 2am and 4am.  It seems reliable the rest of the day.  Is this normal behaviour?

(As an experiment I've just switched to a non-Plusnet router so it will be interesting to see if the behaviour continues.) 

11 REPLIES 11
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Hub 2 router disconnecting and reconnecting each morning

Hi @cmkessell Looking at the connection logs it didn't drop on Thursday or Friday morning, had anything change in your home setup at all then? 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
cmkessell
Dabbler

Hi Adam,

Thanks for looking at the log.  The home setup change was that I swapped my Plusnet Hub2 for an old TP-Link router on Wednesday (probably causing the drop at around 8am), and it looks as if this might have helped prevent the dropping on Thursday and Friday morning - but then the dropping happened again on Sat and Sun morning. 

So I'm not sure what's going on.  Is the early morning dropping normal?  Shall I put back the Hub2 router and see what happens?

Thanks,

Chris 

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi @cmkessell I'd say it's not normal but also one drop per day should be nothing to worry about unless it's staying offline for an extended period. I'd try swapping the router back to see if anything changes. Do you have anything on a timer that might turn on or off at 2am? 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
cmkessell
Dabbler

The dropping isn't really a problem while it only happens in the early hours.  I don't think there's anything in the house that gets triggered around those hours.  I'll try the Plusnet router again and see how it goes.

cmkessell
Dabbler

By the way is there any way that customers can access that graphical connection log you're using?  It would make it easier to see what's happening on the line.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No but I can generate those for you. I'm not in tomorrow but if you reply back on Tuesday I'll be able to send another one across. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@cmkessell 

At this juncture, I would stick with the TP-Link router as that eliminates the possibility of something happening with BT's router maintenance platform.

Does your TP router play nice with Routerstats?  See the link below.  If it does, I would recommend setting up routerstats and setup 24x7 monitoring to see what happens to the SNRM at that time.  Issues such as these are usually caused by electrical interference, which might not be within your property.  Such interference might be present much of the time ... but is only bad enough to cause issues at a specific time.

In a past life, I experienced this with passing West Coast Mainline trains ... it was only a problem with specific trains!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi @cmkessell here's some updated logs for you. How have things been on your side?

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
cmkessell
Dabbler

Hi Adam,

Everything is fine here, my connection is good throughout the day although your logs show that the early morning disconnects are still happening.  Perhaps it's something to do with BT's line management or maintenance activities?

Chris

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

It is all guess work.  If the TP router works with routerstats, you will gain a much better insight in to what is happening.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cmkessell
Dabbler

Hi - I looked into it but unfortunately my TP-Link router (an Archer VR900) doesn't seem to be compatible with routerstats.