Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 2 Firmware Update - Slower Speeds!

FIXED
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Hub 2 Firmware Update - Slower Speeds!

My Hub2 Firmware was updated two weeks ago.  Since then sync speeds are down by about 15%. 

Anyone else noticed a problem?  

8 REPLIES 8
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Hub 2 Firmware Update - Slower Speeds!

Fix

I can see the change this side.

There is a DSL driver update in the latest firmware, and whenever there are changes in this regard, we tend to see a small cohort of lines negotiate at a slightly higher, or lower, sync rate. From the monitoring we have in place, we haven't seen a disproportionate drop in speeds across the base.

I can see you have dropped the connection recently (or something has) which would have been my first suggestion. Unfortunately you're now at the mercy of the Openreach line management systems to see if things pick things up over the coming weeks 😕 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Many thanks for reply. I am not impressed (!) as my sync speed was barely 20 on a good day!

I did restart the router as I thought that this might help but sadly no improvement. 

This appears to be a classic case of If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix IT !

On the basis of liking to know the effect of changes I may swap back to my Home Hub 6 again to see if that makes any difference.

Thanks again

TG

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@bobpullen 

Having thought about this since yesterday I am even more annoyed about the disinterest in unintended consequences.

1. Can I have my old firmware back?

2.. Is the Hub 1 similarly affected?

3. My IP profile has been lowered, can this be raised?

4. Will the HH6 increase speed as firmware is not updated automatically if not with BT?

5. How many others have been affected and will there be a fix?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry if I gave the impression of being disinterested. I was just trying to offer one possible explanation.

1. No. A firmware downgrade would simply result in a subsequent upgrade in a few days time and you'd be back to square one. The only way to prevent this would be to remove your hub from the management platform. Not only does this break the automatic activation policies, it also means you will not receive security patches/bug fixes in future.

2. No, the Hub One has its own firmware and a uses a different chipset.

3. The IP profile should be aligned to the current sync speed and is governed by Openreach's line management systems. Are you suggesting its lower than it should be based on your current sync rate?

4. I have no idea, it's not a device we support/provide. Perhaps you can try it? If it doesn't make a difference after a few week's of use, then you can probably rule the upgrade out as the cause. Bear in mind that the upgrade physically reboots your hub when applying itself. It's not completely out of the question that the reboot/resync triggered something. Note that BT hubs on Plusnet lines *do* receive firmware updates.

5. The information I supplied is based on assumption. There are no identifiers, nor an easy way to say with certainty that the DSL driver update is the sole cause. For similar reasons, there is no way to determine how many customers' lines have lowered in speed as a direct result of the upgrade. Customers' sync rates go up and down all the time for myriad reasons. All I know, is that there hasn't been a disproportionate or unusual volume of speed decreases across the base post upgrade.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@bobpullen 

Thanks for answering the questions!

My HH6 never had its firmware updated all the time I did use it with PN so it may be worth another go. Even if it does get updated it still might be better. The Hub2 showed little if any improvement over the 6 but was stable until this change.

I have looked at the OR linechecker  and it only shows my fastest speed after the firmware update date. I wonder why ?!

Nothing has changed here to cause any change to the connection from my side. I think that your data may show when the sync speeds suddenly dropped. Information about my local exchane is not easy to find beyond SamKnows.

There will be disconnects while I try different routers which should not be taken as faults.  

TG

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

I have today reinstalled the HH6 which now shows a firmware update of today's date,

The current sync speed is 21.5 compared to the Hub 2 of 18.5 after its recent firmware upgrade.

There is clearly something seriously wrong with the Hub 2.........not fit for the purpose.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

And if you reinstate the Hub Two? Am I safe to assume it drops back to ~18mbps?
Regardless, a difference of 3mbps downstream hardly makes a device not fit for purpose Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@bobpullen 

On the basis that the HH6 now gives me the sync speed that I had previously I have run out of both mental and physical energy to swap back again to see if speed does drop again. The sync speed increase with the HH6 was instant after a couple of slow weeks (and a reset) with the Hub2 .

3Mbs may seem insignificant to you but from an already low base this is in the region of 15% for no other compensatory benefit which is both noticeable and annoying. 

The Hub 2 does work but in my case below the expectation of its launch fanfare.