cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei HG612 Stats & Graphing Programs for VDSL2 (FTTC) Windows Users

Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Huawei HG612 Stats & Graphing Programs for VDSL2 (FTTC) Windows Users

A small package of connection statistics logging/graphing programs has been recently devoloped from the original batch file script versions.
These programs are more robust than the scripted versions and are much quicker in use to boot.
Thanks to RONSKI's efforts, everything can now be set up using a GUI settings editor for fully automated data harvesting & graphing via user-defined scheduled events.
.Net does need to be installed to make full use of RONSKI's settings editor.
.Net version 4 has been used for extensive testing of the programs on systems ranging from XP Home Edition to Windows 7 & related Home Server versions.
However, users can still manually edit a text based configuration ini file if choosing not to install .Net
AFAIK, .Net was already included with Windows versions starting with Vista, so installing it is probably only relevant for the few XP users who don't already have it installed.

Resyncs are now detected (if monitoring 24/7) & the data is immediately logged, along with optional graphing.
The mis-reported FEC/CRC errors issue from the HG612's own buggy GUI has also been dealt with.
The output is almost identical to later scripted versions, just that there is more of it to assist with trouble-shooting problematic connections.
Once a reliable download site has been chosen, I'll post links here accordingly, so watch this space  Wink
At some stage in the not too distant future, these programs are also likely to be converted back to their Linux and ADSL roots as originally developed by Burakkucat, along with asbokid's input.

EDIT:-
As data and/or error/event log files and pictures can be attached, the preferred forum for feedback/queries once the programs have been released is:-
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,12284.0.html
28 REPLIES 28
Ronski
Rising Star

Re: Huawei HG612 Stats & Graphing Programs for VDSL2 (FTTC) Windows Users

For the past two months or so I've been developing a settings editor to set up Bald_Eagles excellent updated logging programs, along with testing them.
To do this I've had to learn VB.Net, and I haven't really programmed since I was a teenager, about 30 years ago.
So take it easy if you find anything not quite right, but please do let us know.
We'll update the thread and the first post when it's available for download
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Does the modem still need to be unlocked for this to work?
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Indeed, the modem does have to be unlocked.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Thanks.
Ronski
Rising Star

Download is now live at Freewarefiles.com, I'm sure the Eagle will be along soon to update the first post.
Edit: If upgrading to the new version don't forget to backup any logs/graphs just in case. In my experience it is perfectly fine to keep your modem log file, I'm still using the same one I started last August.
Also if you like it then please rate it and leave a review on Freeware files, if you have any problems then let us know.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Thanks Bald_Eagle1 and Ronski.
I no longer use my (unlocked) HG612 but I really appreciate the effort that has been put in here. I have used Bald-Eagle1's scripts in the past and I would certainly make use of this if I had a problem necessitating the re-installation of the HG612.
Great stuff & thanks again.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
leader
Grafter

All would like to say thanks to Bald_Eagle1 & Ronski  !
Unlocked Hg612's pop up on a well know auction site from time to time if your like me don't  fancy have in a go & bricking the thing :oops:
Ronski
Rising Star

Thanks leader, the HG612s are actually very easy to unlock, now the ECI modems, they are a different story and I failed miserably there.
Ronski
Rising Star

Just to let everyone know that the editor requires dot.net version 4, or else it won't run.
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Has anyone tried this out yet?
General constructive feedback/criticism is most welcomed, but I’m particularly interested to hear about how users found the setting up process, any problems & suggestions for potential future improvement and development.
Phileasfrog
Grafter

I have used your earlier "manual" graphing for some time with great results.  I have now successfully installed the latest version (on WHS 2011) without problem.  
There is one question about the HG612 which I would like advice about - and I appreciate that this may not be the best forum in which to raise it.....  Feel free to suggest a move.
I am currently trying the HG612 in full FTTC router mode (I normally use it as modem into an Untangle UTM running the PPPOE), and it does work surprisingly well however I do have a WAN throughput question.  My actual download speed (PN permitting!) is about 74mb however the best I can achieve normally with the HG612 in place is about 65mb, except when I disable auto-negotiate on the nic and choose 100mb full duplex, I then achieve the full 74mb download.  My conclusion is that the HG612 processor is not up to the extra work caused by the auto-negotiation overhead.  I have tried a selection of nics in various configs and it seems as if anything which causes it to auto-negotiate  (including the use of any switches / hubs), causes the decrease in throughput.
Any thoughts based on your experience would be helpful.  In any case, many thanks to you and your colleagues for the continued HG612 work.
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Quote from: Phileasfrog
I may be completely off beam in my conclusion however and it may just that the router is just not higher enough spec.

Although it seems very good when only used as a modem, I think that is indeed the case when also used as a router.
It is supposedly Profile 30a ready as a modem, but as yet we have no idea how it would cope with the higher speeds.
I believe the Huawei HG622 VDSL/ADSL modem/router can handle higher throughput speeds, has wireless capability & 4 LAN ports built in & the HG612 Modem Stats programs probably work with it too.

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Hi Bald_Eagle1,
Yes I've tried the new version, haven't used all the features but what I have used is just as good as the batch file version only quicker Smiley
One small criticism though, "SET_HG612_DATE_AND_TIME.BAT" no longer works --It gives the following error:
FATAL ERROR: Network error: Permission denied
The process tried to write to a nonexistent pipe.

Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Quote from: npr
Hi Bald_Eagle1,
Yes I've tried the new version, haven't used all the features but what I have used is just as good as the batch file version only quicker Smiley
One small criticism though, "SET_HG612_DATE_AND_TIME.BAT" no longer works --It gives the following error:
FATAL ERROR: Network error: Permission denied

Thanks for the feedback.
As the time setting script doesn't check for the modem already harvesting stats, it COULD just be that you have tried to run it just when data was already being harvested.
That is the only time I've seen it fail.
For now, you could try watching the system clock & run the script at different times, say 10, 20, 30, 40, or 50 seconds past the minute.
It still works at my end (Windows 7), but I have added it to my 'things to do' list to write a small program to replace the batch file & check that the data isn't still being harvested when run.
EDIT:
Which Windows version are you using?