Did you mean: 

How would I get a new router from PN?

FIXED
Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

How would I get a new router from PN?

Hi all

I've been with PN for about 3 years and in all that time I've had the original TG582n router. Sadly it went kaput about 12 months later and I had to get another one from Ebay.

Is it possible to get a new one from PN? I know it's probably going to be a different one since I doubt any ISP does the TG582n anymore. If so, would I just pay the postage which is about £6.99 I think?

Thanks in advance.

11 REPLIES 11
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: How would I get a new router from PN?

Plusnet will either sell you one at £100 (from memory) (it will be the Hub One aka BT Home Hub 5) or you could negotiate a new contract with Customer Services and demand a router as part of a new 18 month contract. You will still probably need to paid for the P&P.

Customer Options Team is on 0800 013 2632 (Selecting the option for thinking of leaving) to see if there's anything they can offer you?

Or finally, just buy a modem/router from ebay. There are plenty to choose from and the BT Home Hub 5 is cheap and common there.

Edit: to add buy from ebay option

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Cagney1994
Rising Star

I renewed my contract last month (for 18 months). Would that able me just to pay the postage for a new router?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Fix

As you've signed up to a new contract within the last 3 months, you're correct that you can get a router for just the P&P cost.

If you give us a call on 0800 432 0200 we'll be able to take a payment and arrange for a router to be sent Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Cagney1994
Rising Star

Thanks Harry. Will do Smiley
Cagney1994
Rising Star

Just a slight update: When I rang for a new router, I was asked for what reason. I was kinda shocked since I thought it wouldn't matter what the reason was, since I just recently renewed my contract.

Is it normal for PN staff to ask why we need a new router even though a new customer (i.e. one renewing their contract) is perfectly entitled to one?

Thanks.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Why do you want a new router?

acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

A few years ago I rang up for a new router (when I was out of contract) and was asked the same question. I was told that if I was getting a new router because I hoped it would solve a problem that I was having then they were able to loan me a router instead. Don't know if this is still done or if this was the reason in your case.

Cagney1994
Rising Star

@ejs - The current one is a bit naff; the Tg582n. I prefer a more up-to-date one.

@acr - If you were out of contract as you say, then maybe PN were right to say what they did. If like me, you actually just renewed your contract, then entitlement should be without question really.

Also, I asked if it would be possible to ask for a new router everytime I renewed.They said yes. All I'd need to do would be to pay the postage charge.

Great I think Smiley

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The 582n is probably better than the Hub Zero which I think is what Plusnet still supply for ADSL. If you think the 582n is a bit naff, just wait until you try the Hub Zero.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@Cagney1994 wrote:

I was kinda shocked since I thought it wouldn't matter what the reason was, since I just recently renewed my contract.

It shouldn't matter at all when you're renewing your contract to be honest.

@Cagney1994 wrote:
Is it normal for PN staff to ask why we need a new router

It's good practice to ask regardless of the recent contract renewal (I've seen people call up complaining the new router didn't resolve their issue that they didn't mention to us)
However as you've said, having recently renewed contract, you were entitled to a new one either way.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Cagney1994
Rising Star

@ejs - re. what you said about the 2704n router; you're right. It sucks. I've had to go back to the Tg582n one. The speed on the Hub was appalling.