Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How will my IP profile change?

spader
Grafter

How will my IP profile change?

Hi,
My new adsl just went active on Thursday morning, and I've been looking at the router stats and wondering some things.
1) My IP profile obviously started at 10Mb, why not higher?
2) If the BT wholesale speedtest site says I can support 21Mb max, can I expect ~20Mb on the IP profile some time in the next couple of days?
3) The router has some downstream CRC and HEC errors - I shouldn't be worried by these, should I?
4) My line attenuation is "outstanding", but the SNR seems low. Is this because BT actively aim for 6dB? Or should I be worried? (The line to my flat is new and there are no extension sockets. I could remove the faceplate but I see no point when there are no extensions. I've heard you can buy filtered faceplates and better & shorter cables to connect  the router to the socket, but if I can max out what non-fibre ADSL is capable of with my current set-up then I see no need to bother.)

[btw, my CRC error count is 181 or ~5 per hour, HEC count is 161 or ~4.5 per hour. These perfectly low, I hope?]
19 REPLIES 19
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: How will my IP profile change?

Hi there,
1) My IP profile obviously started at 10Mb, why not higher?

) If the BT wholesale speedtest site says I can support 21Mb max, can I expect ~20Mb on the IP profile some time in the next couple of days?

I'd honest expect to see you get a little better than this. As we're still within the first 10 days for the service you should hopefully see some improvement within that time. Do let us know if you don't.
3) The router has some downstream CRC and HEC errors - I shouldn't be worried by these, should I?

I wouldn't worry about those being at such a low level, it's a good sign that you're router's doing it's job as intended.
4) My line attenuation is "outstanding", but the SNR seems low. Is this because BT actively aim for 6dB? Or should I be worried? (The line to my flat is new and there are no extension sockets. I could remove the faceplate but I see no point when there are no extensions. I've heard you can buy filtered faceplates and better & shorter cables to connect  the router to the socket, but if I can max out what non-fibre ADSL is capable of with my current set-up then I see no need to bother.)

6db does look to be appropriate in comparison with the other line stats. Do let us know if you're still seeing issues outside of the first 10 days and we'll then be able to dig a little deeper for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi Spader,
I see you have a clutch of questions around the place... Cheesy  A warm welcome to the forums.
If you a detailed view on you line, can you please gather all of the information requested in the "speed issues" thread at the top of this foum and post the results back here.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spader
Grafter

Thanks guys Smiley
Plusnet
Phone exchange:
ROTHERHAM
Estimated line speed:
17Mb (This may vary between 10Mb and 19.5Mb) - Checked on 2014-12-20 15:52:57
Current line speed:
10.4 Mb
BT
9.25 Mbps actual
21 Mbps Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 9.25 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 10.49 Mbps
Upload Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.79Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

Router
Uptime: 1 day, 19:17:11
DSL Type: G.992.3 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,160 / 11,908
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,155 / 11,896
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 203.72 / 3.34
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 8.0 / 14.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.0 / 6.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 203
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 193

I've had a couple of glitches trying to play some steam games, but they might have been server related. Actually had a higher upload speed yesterday (maybe that will go up again? 1.5 should be possible, should it not?).
Not worried about anything at this point, just interested in how the profiling will work.
Cheesy
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
The US is about as fast as it is going to go, however the DS is not!
Is there noise on the phone line?  Dial 17070 option 2.
Is the router plugged into the master socket or an extension socket / lead?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: spader

Strange that not only is it running as ADSL2 and not ASDL2+, but I think that must be pretty much the maximum possible speed for ADSL2. It seems unlikely that any kind of physical line fault or poor internal wiring would allow for the maximum speed possible using the ADSL2 frequencies and not even one single tone from the higher ADSL2+ frequencies to be usable.
What router are you using? Is it possible it's been used somewhere else before and the ADSL mode is set to ADSL2 only?
spader
Grafter

Quote from: Townman
Hi,
The US is about as fast as it is going to go, however the DS is not!
Is there noise on the phone line?  Dial 17070 option 2.
Is the router plugged into the master socket or an extension socket / lead?

1Mb? I thought ADSL topped out at 1.5 these days?
Well it's only been connected ~2 days, is that time for them to have played with it at the exchange and raised the profile?
The line seems perfectly quiet to me. I only have the one socket, there are no extensions elsewhere in the flat.
spader
Grafter

Quote from: ejs

Strange that not only is it running as ADSL2 and not ASDL2+, but I think that must be pretty much the maximum possible speed for ADSL2. It seems unlikely that any kind of physical line fault or poor internal wiring would allow for the maximum speed possible using the ADSL2 frequencies and not even one single tone from the higher ADSL2+ frequencies to be usable.
What router are you using? Is it possible it's been used somewhere else before and the ADSL mode is set to ADSL2 only?

Yes!
I used it in Peterborough back in 2011 (before FTTC hit). I was quite far from the exchange and only got ~1.3Mb downstream. Will this explain things?
[I also have an openreach modem and netgear router (ethernet input only). Should I try using them or will that simply not work?]
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

OK...
Good call ejs!

@Spader,
Can you check the router for having its modulation set to something specific rather than AUTO?
Any other ADSL device which is not locked down you have to hand is worth a go.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Yes, it does explain things, if the ADSL mode had been manually configured some time in the past. On some long lines, setting the mode to ADSL2 or ADSL1 is a minor optimisation, getting a little extra speed, some telephone exchanges just don't seem to automatically select ADSL2 even on lines which can't make any use of the ADSL2+ higher frequencies.
Since it's a Technicolor / Thomson, changing the ADSL mode setting requires using telnet: http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#modulation
spader
Grafter

Any idea where in the Thomson router I'd do that?
Will the openreach modem work when it's not FTTC?
*edit
Oh I see the telnet bit.
I already used that to sort some gaming ports lol. Here we go again Cheesy
spader
Grafter

Wow, think it worked! And fast!
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:01:34
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,192 / 21,924
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,183 / 21,976
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 37.00 / 72.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.0 / 16.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 8.0 / 14.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.5 / 6.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 31 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 5 / NA

Do I need to worry about annex A or M? The telnet warned me that the adsl commands were for authorised users only!
*edit
Ah pooh.
Download speedachieved during the test was - 10.4 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 10.49 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.94Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
So the router wants to run faster but my IP profile is still the same. Will I need to ask plusnet to do something with it, or will it happen automatically?
Thanks for all the help so far Smiley

(Speedtest.net now thinks I'm in London and has a different IP address showing. This a problem?)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

It should happen automatically.

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@spader
You just need the Current Line Speed to catch up with the BT IP Profile - should be around 19-20Mbps, so very impressive for an ADSL connection. Check that link in the morning (login required) and if it matches the BT IP Profile, which you can get by running the BTWholesale speedtest - click "Yes" at the bottom of the red checklist and then, once it has done the initial test follow the prompt for Further Diagnostics, enter your phone number and click Run Diagnostic Test, then confirm your phone number has been entered correctly.
You'll get a graphical display of your down and up speeds, including a line showing the downstream IP Profile, like this:
IP Profile for your line is - nn.nn Mbps
Your Plusnet Current Line Speed will be fractionally lower, but both should be around 19-20 Mbps. If they are, all will be fine. If they don't, a disconnect and reboot of your router may be needed. Best done in daylight if so.
[ETA] I see you've already done both the BTw speedtest and the Current Line Speed thing. Hopefully they'll match by the time you read this...  Cool
avatastic
Grafter

Will the openreach modem work when it's not FTTC?

If it's one of the huawei hg612 modems, then you will need to unlock it, but after that it can work as an ADSL/ADSL2/etc modem or router.
I found mine much more stable than the old Netgear DM111P+ I was using, in ADSL2+ mode, before my fibre upgrade.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)