cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use ASUS RT-AC68U (PPPoE) with PlusNet (PPPoA)

GarethRhys

How to use ASUS RT-AC68U (PPPoE) with PlusNet (PPPoA)

Hi, I can't work out how to use this. I have a Billion 7800N which I have set to Pure Bridge. On the ASUS PPPoA is not an option so I have used STATIC IP.
I put in all the details IP, Netmask, DNS based on the values that the Billion used and I get a Connected to the internet, BUT when I try to browse web sites it goes nowhere. I presumed it could be wrong DNS values as I had that sort of thing in the past but it didn't work. Can anyone help ? Do I need somehow to get a modem that 'converts' from PPPoA to PPPoE.
Many Thanks in Advance. I have spent many hours on this and am stuck now. PlusNet support were absolutely useless ... 'can only tell you to use PPPoA'.
I am on ADSL not on Fibre.
13 REPLIES 13
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: How to use ASUS RT-AC68U (PPPoE) with PlusNet (PPPoA)

PPPoE might work on ADSL, it does for some - you don't say whether you've tried it.
With what you've done it's sounding like you've not got any authentication details so it won't go anywhere.
there isn't a way to 'convert' pppoe / pppoa
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi
I had no problems with a TP Link Archer C7 cable router using PPPOE, via a Netgear DG834, in modem only mode, on PlusNet ADSL.
However, I was using manually assigned OpenDNS for the DNS.
Richard

GarethRhys

Hi, I did use my username and password to log in. I didn't try using the modem in PPPoE, just as pure bridge, which seemed to only offer then options on the VC 0/38 (by memory).
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

I have recently used a tp-link pair with the modem/router set to bridge mode and the router set to PPPoE - so that it was a simple replace modem and cable move to get fibre up and running.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
GarethRhys

I have fibre at home and that works fine because the Openreach modem just works with the Asus Rt-ac68U, it's at work where it is ADSL that I can't get it to work.
The fact is is connected implies to me (I'm VERY basic at these things) - either the username/pw is wrong (but I've not changed them from when they worked before), or there is something else in terms of communication. In the browser (Safari - Mac) ... the progress blue line moves along a few inches and then just stops ... as if waiting for some sort of communication ?
If the Billion 7800N is in Pure Bridge mode is there anything else it needs to do ? I then connect from it with an Ethernet cable.
dvorak

which port are you connecting the asus to the billion on?
Customer / Moderator
GarethRhys

Connecting the Asus to the first ordinary ethernet port. Not the EWAN port.
dvorak

i'm pretty sure you need to put it in the ewan port.
Customer / Moderator
shure
Grafter

@GarethRhys
I have the RT-N66u connected via a Netgear DG834PN modem on ADSL at home.  It was a little tricky to set up initially as it's not clear that you have to set the encapsulation settings to LLC, not VC-MUX, which the Netgear didn't do automatically.  You don't say what you're using as a modem at work but maybe that might work?  There was one other setting to change which I can't remember right now, but I think it involved the number 38, if that rings bells for anyone?  If you still struggle drop me a line and I'll go and look it up for you
edit: got work mixed up with home:(
shure
Grafter

I connected via ethernet cable from the 1st LAN port on the Netgear to the EWAN port on the Asus
GarethRhys

I have it connected from the 1st LAN port on the Billion 7800N which is set to Pure Bridge, therefore acting as the modem.
This is connected to the Ethernet WAN port on the ASUS. IS this not correct ?
shure
Grafter

yes that's correct.  That's the same set up I have from my Netgear modem/router in bridge mode to my Asus router
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Just my two pennies worth.
As pointed out by shure, check the Billion is using LLC encapsulation method.  It won't work with VC-Mux. 
Picture from 7800N user manual shown below.
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-