cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set up multiple IP Cameras behind Technicolor 582n to view over internet

dbsmith
Dabbler

Re: How to set up multiple IP Cameras behind Technicolor 582n to view over internet

OK, thanks all for the help. To answer the above 2 questions:
1. I am currently using a static IP (WAN external) address from Plusnet to my Thomson router. I can access this from the web by either IP address or DDNS address.
2. The cameras are D-Link DCS 5220s. They are configurable over a browser for ports (both for HTTP & RTSP) and these seem to be set correctly.
3. They are currently set onto the Thomson router as static IP addresse - the static IP address for each camera is set in the DCS-5220 camera itself. I have tried setting this inside & outside of the DNS allocation range as per the post above. It seems to make no difference.
4. When the static IP (internal) address of any camera is set as allocated to the DMZ  of the router, it is accessible from the WAN. When it is not set within the DMZ, it is not accessible at all. This is regardless of what port it is allocated to (currently on port 80). Unfortunately you can only allocate 1 IP address to the DMZ, so can only access 1 camera from the WAN.
5. Turning firewall on/off makes no difference.
6. If I could get just 1 camera to work outside of it being placed in the DMZ, that would help !  I can then port forward other cameras then to different ports but just getting the one camera to work outside of the DMZ is proving impossible.
7. I have even tried adding a secondary wireless router behind the Technicolor 582 router (a D-LINK) and using this to cluster the cameras, and then using the port forward feature to tunnel through the Technicolor. This also does not work.
cheers
Dave
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: How to set up multiple IP Cameras behind Technicolor 582n to view over internet

You've not said what port forwarding steps you've tried, but the camera manual says ports 5556 - 5559 need to be forwarded as well as the HTTP and RTSP port.
dbsmith
Dabbler

yes, have tried this also !
rja
Grafter

Ok then. Can you perhaps post screenshots of the networking config screen from a couple of the cameras as well as the port forwarding rules page from the router. It would be nice to see exactly how things are set up.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

You may find port forward works better with these Technicolor routers if the device is on a dynamic IP address in it's own setting but set to "always use the same IP address" in the routers network settings.
So my recommendation is:-
1) Set all the cameras to obtain the IP address automatically.
Once that's done reboot everything so that DHCP assigns IP addresses to each camera.
Go to the routers GUI > network settings for each camera and tick "always use the same IP address"
2) Set each camera to use a unique port.
3) Create some port forward rules, one for each camera / port.
4) Assign each camera / port rule to the correct IP address / mac address for the camera which uses that port.
5) To access each camera from WAN use the following format in the address bar of your browser.
http://myipaddress:portnumber
Just change the port number to match the camera you wish to view.
Help on port forwarding:
http://www.o2help.co.uk/router-port-forwarding/
Anonymous
Not applicable

schooleydoo

Was this ever resolved?
I am in the same position with x4 DCS-932 cameras and have separately come to the same conclusion. Add the camera to the Technicolor DMZ and you can remotely connect. Do it via port forwarding and nothing.
I've also tried using an Asus RT66u as the router, connecting the cameras to the Asus, then adding the Asus IP to the DMZ of the Technicolor. Still no joy.
Inside the network is fine in both examples. Outside, nothing. Tried both with DHCP and static IP's.
dbsmith
Dabbler

I never got this to work. Eventually I had to set up a DDNS and assign an external addrsess using http://XXX.XXX.com:port number  to each camera.
I then used a program on the PC called IPCameraViewer.exe to view the 4 different streas, which works OK.