Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set up multiple IP Cameras behind Technicolor 582n to view over internet

dbsmith
Dabbler

How to set up multiple IP Cameras behind Technicolor 582n to view over internet

Hi All,
Looking for help as to how to set up multiple cameras through my router so that I can monitor then online.
I have a DDNS set up to the static IP address, and in the DMZ zone setting of the router, I have this assigned to the IP address of Camera 1. This works fine, I see all the camera video/audio across the relevant ports (HTTP port set to 80, RTSP port 554, etc..
However, this only works if I assign a single camera to the DMZ, so I can only ever see 1 camera from the internet by inputting the DDNS address (or static IP address).
how do I get it so that I can set more than 1 camera behind the router, yet still see the different video streams from the internet ?
cheers
DS
22 REPLIES 22
itsme
Grafter

Re: How to set up multiple IP Cameras behind Technicolor 582n to view over internet

You need to assign a different port to each camera and then use port forwarding.
NedLudd
Grafter

Re: How to set up multiple IP Cameras behind Technicolor 582n to view over internet

Wink
Geoff,
York.
itsme
Grafter

@nedLudd Please explain how that is going to work. If you can setup multiple DMZs, which I believe can't how will it know which camera you want to access?
What you need to do is connect each camera in turn to you network and assign a static LAN IP address for each camera outside the DHCP range but within the subnet and a port number. When this has been done then you need to port forward each port to the corresponding IP address.
This is an example for port setting for D-Link camera
Port Settings: You may configure a Second HTTP port that will allow you to connect to the camera via a standard web browser. The port can be set to a
number other than the default TCP ports 80. A corresponding port must be opened on the router. For example, if the port is changed to
1010, users must type http://192.168.0.100:1010 instead of only “http://192.168.0.100”.

So above is an example how to address the camera on the LAN side to access it WAN side it's http://yourDDNS:1010
NedLudd
Grafter

Undecided
Geoff,
York.
pengbo
Grafter

@NedLudd
erm how do you give multiple devices the same ip-address on a subnet without getting massive problems? Huh
Anytime I made this mistake the network became very unstable and all sorts started complaining about the ip-address already being in use.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I don't use the supplied Technicolor router but with most routers the port allocated in the forwarding rule doesn't have to be the same both inside and outside.  Assuming that's also the case with this router I'd setup rules along the line of:
<WAN IP> Port 81 to <CAM1_IP> Port 80
<WAN IP> Port 82 to <CAM2_IP> Port 80
etc
dbsmith
Dabbler

Thanks all for the helpful comments above, but unfortunately none of these solve the problem. I was already aware of these normally implemented practives. However, on the Plusnet supplied Techincolor 582n router, it won't work. This is because (1)  you can only assign 1 static IP address to 1 device and (2) it appears that this device has to appear in the DMZ for it to stream to the internet, and you can only allocate 1 device to the DMZ.  I can't get it to work using multiple devices using port forwarding as in the methods described above.
I have tried to get around it by setting up a second slave router, hosting the cameras from this router and assigning the second router a static IP & putting it onto the DMZ, thereafter port forwarding all streams through this router but this does work either.
i think it's a Technicolor quirk, so if anyone has already set something like this up on this router please let me know.
cheers
Dave
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Have you tried turning off the firewall?
There's at least two area to get right - Address translation via port forwarding rules and security via appropriate permissions.  I'd turn the firewall off while I got the port forwarding sorted first...
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

AFAIK you would need a static IP assigned to each device in order for them to be separately viewed over the internet. Do be aware that's only something we're able to offer to business customers though.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dbsmith
Dabbler

thanks Adam, that would make sense then as to why I couldn't get it to work.
dick:quote
itsme
Grafter

Setting up multiple external IP is out of the reach for the majority of Internet users as it require a greater understanding of how the whole system work.
I'm not familiar with the Technicolor  but  these steps will work with other routers.
1. Connect each camera in turn and set it up with an internal IP address outside the DHCP range of the router. For example if the DHCP range start at 192.168.1.64 specify the first camera at 192.168.1.10 the second at 192.168.1.11 etc. This is done at the camera setup not on the router.
2. When all have been assigned they can be connected and tested by going to each of the camera using it unique internal IP.
3. Now using pwatson suggestion go to the port forwarding of the router and assign an unique external port for each camera
Port 8000 to 192.168.1.10 Port 80 for camera 1
Port 8001 to 192.168.1.11 Port 80 for camera 2
4. To access camera 1 from the internet type in the address bar htttp://<external ip address>:8000. The only thing I'm not sure with the Technicolor is if it has loopback. This is required to only external addressing to be used from the LAN side of the router. So I suggest using another internet connection or use http://anonymouse.org/anonwww.html
dbsmith
Dabbler

Thanks all for the help, but I still can't get this to work at all despite all the messing about on the firewall, port forwarding, etc.. I suspect it's an implementation of the router that somehow prevents this. The only way I seem to be able to get video through the firewall is to assign a camera's IP address in the DMZ, and it will only let me assign one IP address against the DMZ.
Dave
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I don't know whether this is correct or not, but I recall seeing mention that the TG582n does not port forward properly to LAN IPs that are statically assigned. However it does work for dynamically assigned IPs with the "always assign the same address" flag set - making it effectively static.
Have you tried this approach?
David
rja
Grafter

My router forwards perfectly to statically assigned IPs.
Dave, can you tell us what brand and model of IP cameras you are using. I suspect we just need to understand how the RTSP channels are assigned when you change the HTTP port number. Hopefully we can download the manual and make some suggestions.