cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set up an old Technicolor TG582n router as a wifi repeater

Whiteheadz

How to set up an old Technicolor TG582n router as a wifi repeater

I have recently upgraded to fibre optic, speeds are ok.  We live in a split level house, the main telephone line terminating unit is on the bottom floor, with a further extension halfway up the house in the study.  When we were on "normal" broadband the technicolor router was in the study and most rooms got a wifi signal.  However now my fast wifi is downstairs im goosed when in the bedroom and my eldest is being a cry baby as he cant get his xbox to work (he's doing GCSE's so nod thing for now).
I'd looked into using the old router as a wifio extender, and after a (fair) bit of playing yesterday I'd managed to find most of the settings abnd config details to do this, using these instructions: 
http://mobile.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/network-wifi/3494655/how-set-up-router-as-repeater/

The only bit I couldnt do was set the old router with a static IP address.  I looked at an old post on this forum and read into it that it wouldnt be a problem so went ahead powering up the new router and connecting the old via a powerline. 
I got a stronger wifi signal throughout the house, albeit when i tried a speed test in the study (in vicinity of old router) it was back to 5mbs =- I assume as that's the max the router can offer, which I can live with although not ideal as id like to be able to stream TV in my bedroom.
The main issue I got was "no internet connection"  when trying to get to sites when in the vicinity of the old router, that said I tried all sorts and am sure that at some point I did get connected however thats when I had set the old router with a name that's different to the new one.
Is it to do with needing to set a static IP adress, DHCP is turned off, like I say I got all the way through the instructions until the point it said to set a static IP address.
Any help mucho appreciated  Kiss
5 REPLIES 5
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: How to set up an old Technicolor TG582n router as a wifi repeater

You don't need a static IP.
You just need to disable dhcp on the second router and configure it's gateway IP address to be something different the the first (internet connected) router.
This should help:
http://npr.me.uk/together.html
Whiteheadz

npr you are a legend thank you so much that appears to have worked, it was setting the gateway within the subnet mask that I needed to do.
So now when I walk through my house I get better wifi strength, you reckon you can help me on these questions:
When I am in the room where Im getting my wifi signal from the wifi extender (old router) i test the download speeds, these are signifcantly less than when im in the room with my new optic fibre router - I assume because the old router will only be able to push through wifi speeds to a certain point (think best I've got is 8 mbs on old and 38 on new router) - my assumption correct ?
Also as the house is really on split levels other than the speedtest how do I know which router im on ? Im guessing that some days if im halfway up the house I will stay connected to the fdaster newer router downstairs, but otherdays i may be in the same spot but connect to old router?
Still a bit pee'd off that when i get into my side of the bed i end up with 1 bar of wifi and sometimes drop off but the mrs always gets 2 as she's next to the door - I may have to buy another powerline expander and stick the old router now its configured under my bed mwoahahahahahaha
Thanks for your help - it was stewing my melons last weekend
Whiteheadz

ooo I should have also asked, when I logged on to the new router its channel was set as auto - therefore didnt give me a channel number.
When I was configuring teh old router I set channel to manual and channel 13 - will this potentially cause me issues in future and should I have changed the newer routers channel from auto to manual and say channel 1 ?
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Is the older router just wireless b ? That would explain the slow speed or it may be on a more congested wireless channel.
I would not use automatic channel selection, especially with older routers they are not good at picking the best channel.  Try wifi channels 1,6 and 11 only, this ensures there's no overlapping channels, ensure the two routers are on different channels and use whichever gives the best result but.
Whiteheadz

So if I set the old router to 11 and the new to 1 and see if that improves things ?
Hard to say if the older router is wireless B - its 10 year old if that helps Smiley