cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to optimise my Netgear DG834G for ADSL2+

smorgasbord

How to optimise my Netgear DG834G for ADSL2+

I think I've been migrated to ADSL2+ but I'd like to know how to setup my router to make the best use of the new connection.
I had noticed the router losing synchronisation and requiring a re-boot* which surfing the forum seems to be common as the adjustment period takes place.
Is there anything I can tweak/fettle in my router settings to help? I've seen stuff about noise/interleaving/yadda yadda and know nothing about this stuff....
How can I tell whether my router is connected using ADSL2 or 2+?
I know there are lots of friendly people on here using Netgear equipment of this vintage, hoping for some advice. Happy to interrogate settings and logs if you need more details. I am running the latest firmware.
John
* - actually, do I need to re-boot or can I wake-up the connection without a full restart?
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: How to optimise my Netgear DG834G for ADSL2+

Go to here - see picture and you can specify which you want and see if it makes any difference
Regarding your last question are you losing sync with the exchange or just the PPP session
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Further to my last post - you might try this and see if it fixes it - click on Connection Status which brings up the pop-up window then just click on disconnect followed by connect
gosforth
Grafter

I have got a Netgear DG834G v2. I don't get the DSL mode menu when I log into the router. I have the most recent version of the firmware. Is there another way to check the mode?
Cheers,
Chris.
ashgeo
Grafter

Chris,
I have the Netgear DGN2000 which I believe is very similar to your router. Although I am not on ADSL2+ yet you can find out the mode by using the RouterStats software from http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm Once you have set the software up and running you can find the 'Router Terminal' tab and page from the 'Telnet Router Tab'. You will then be able to get the mode as in the attached screen print. As you can see from my screen I have am currently G.DMT mode with a low sync speed as live in a BT backwater in a large town.... Cry
Good luck!
George
PS This software also lets you interrogate the router for lots of other data that can help with any fault diagnosis.