cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to link another wifi router to my supplied Thompson

rogher

How to link another wifi router to my supplied Thompson

I have just got a new wifi base station (Apple time capsule), for back-up and better wireless, and want to link it to my existing Thompson router to obtain internet access.
Can this be done?
How?
I could throw the Thompson away and just use the capsule but I want to link a printer to it and there’s nowhere to do this where the Thompson is installed (by the incoming phone line).
I think I need to set the Thompson up as a bridge. I’d like to link to it from the capsule wirelessly, to avoid the need to cable.
Any ‘step-by-step’ advice would be most welcome.
PN Tech Support simply referred me to to the forum.
3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: How to link another wifi router to my supplied Thompson

Hi there,
I can't really provide a step by step guide I'm afraid but I can point you in the right direction. It involves upgrading the firmware first then running through the initial set up Wizard again. This post might help you:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,95646.0.html
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
rmharrison
Dabbler

Quote from: rogher
I have just got a new wifi base station (Apple time capsule), for back-up and better wireless, and want to link it to my existing Thompson router to obtain internet access.
Can this be done?
How?
I could throw the Thompson away and just use the capsule but I want to link a printer to it and there’s nowhere to do this where the Thompson is installed (by the incoming phone line).
I think I need to set the Thompson up as a bridge. I’d like to link to it from the capsule wirelessly, to avoid the need to cable.
Any ‘step-by-step’ advice would be most welcome.
PN Tech Support simply referred me to to the forum.

This is actulay very simple to set up. as I'm not at Home ATM I cant give you a step by step guide and will do if requested.
But in short for the moment,
you need to plug your TC (Time Capsual) into your router with a Lan Cable, notice on the back of your TC there are 4 RJ45 conections, use the 1st one next to the USB port, it has a small circle above it.
You then need to use a Mac and connect to your TC using Airport Utility.
(Now this is where its a bit hazy, as there has been an update)
You need to configer your TC to conect to the router in bridge mode (NOT PPPOE) this should be under the internet Pane.
Now what should happen is your TC will connect via bridge mode, your router will still issue out all the IP's and connect to the web and the TC just bouncing it all out.
Meaning that now you can connect everything to your TC via wireless and all should connect to the Web.
if you have an probleams please reply and in turn I when i get Home in the Morning I will check to make sure what i have sated is correct, Because as i stated there has been an update and im not overly formela with the new layout.
I hope this has helped and as i Said any questions please let me know.
Rich
rmharrison
Dabbler

Update on may last;
TC (Time Capsule) firmware Version: 7.6.1
Airport Utility Software on a Mac (PC versions are available) Version: 6.0
OK so following my last message set up your Time capsule Hardware as from my last post,
But the setting have changed and my last post was not accurate Sorry about that. Follow Below for setup that I have running fine with the Thompson Router that was supplied with an ADSL line.
If you opt for the Fiber Line in the feature  you will be able to connect the TC directly to the modem that is supplied by the BT Openzone Engineer this would mean completely different setting which i will learn with trial and error Tomorrow as that's when I'm getting setup. 
Bellow are the setting you will need to set up to use your TC using the Airport Utility:
Under Internet Tab:  Set Connect Using to; DHCP from the drop down list, Below you should see an IP set by your router, Sub net mask and router address (This maynot appear untill you press update)
Under Network Tap: Set Router Mode to; Off (Bridge Mode)
To make use of the dual WIFI, Under Wireless Tab set Network Mode as Create a Wireless Network, then set the options below that as your wish.
With Regards to setting up a Wireless printer this I don't have setup but as I know apple products quite well i would assume that as soon as you plug anything into the TC USB port an extra menu will appear in the Airport Utility.
I Hope this is Helps and this post is correct with up to date software and firmware, you may find setting differ if you have older versions on your system.
You will be able to find more setting Here: manuals.info.apple.com/en/TimeCapsule_SetupGuide.pdf (Copy and Paste into your Web browser)
Regards
Rich