cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to keep interleaving off?

chesterfield
Grafter

How to keep interleaving off?

Ive had interleaving switched off before, but it seems to be back on again.  Is there any way to get it switched off for good?  Im happy for the slight drop in download speed for the better gaming experience with lower ping.
Any advice greatly appreciated.  Smiley
31 REPLIES 31
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: How to keep interleaving off?

Hi chesterfield,
There's 3 options that we have regarding Interleaving:

• On

• Off

• Auto

Generally a line has Interleaving set to 'Auto'. This allows us to apply Interleaving just by doing a Line Reset (SNR Reset). We can place an order to turn Interleaving Off - this way the only way it can be turned on, if by us placing an order.
The 'On' option is pretty self explanatory - it means Interleaving is always on.
Please let me know if you'd like Interleaving switching off and we'll get an order placed Smiley
chesterfield
Grafter

Hi,  Thanks for the explanation.
Yes please, I'd like it switched off.  Until BT considers our cabinet "financially viable" and I can get fibre, then the couple of MB speed that I get extra with interleaving on is not really worth the frustration of the extra lag in games.
Thank you for your help.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi chesterfield,
I've just taken a look and there's an order progressing at the moment, I assume this was for moving you onto ADSL2+ or something similar. This order was due to complete on our suppliers systems on 25/09/2013 but I've amended this to complete tomorrow.
Once this order has completed, we'll get the Interleaving order placed which should complete at some point on Monday Smiley
Sorry for the delay.
chesterfield
Grafter

Errr - thats news to me.  I haven't requested any changes, and have been on ADSL2+ for a while now I believe.  Huh
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It doesn't really give make a lot of information to be honest. It could just be a simple change such as Interleaving mode being changed from On to Auto for whatever reason. When it's completed, I'll make the change though.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Chris, want to ask u something about interleaving.
Does Auto / ON mean increasing downstream sync rate but will increase ping and affect gaming online? As mine is turning OFF due to my important  gaming online and low ping.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Interleaving shouldn't really make any difference to your sync rate at all. Interleaving only really 'Wraps up packets' to try and prevent packet loss. The amount of extra time it takes to do this, that is why you see an extra bit of latency on your connection.
Having ON will definitely increase the latency, but only by around 4-6ms (depending on the level of Interleaving applied). Being on Auto just leaves the DLM to make up it's own mind what it does with Interleaving.
Having Interleaving Off, will just mean there's no Interleaving.
I hope that helps.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Yes, I remember I was suffer online gaming with high ping over 45ms. But when Plusnet agree to turn off my interleaving the ping on gaming lots better with 15ms.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yep - it can happen. The games I play work absolutely fine with Interleaving on. You must have had a high level of Interleaving on your lien for it to decrease by that much.
chesterfield
Grafter

Sorry to bring this topic back to life again, but is interleaving now off on my line?  I used to get around 15-20ms ping, but is close to double that now unfortunately.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Chesterfield,
It's still on at present but I've requested an SNR reset for you which should turn it off. Hoping it's alright without interleaving with a 3dB downstream SNR target, it should be.
Let us know if it doesn't work, should take effect within the next few hours.
chesterfield
Grafter

Tried switching it off again using the PN control panel. If this isn't going to work, why not just remove it as an option in the control panel?
Is interleaving off now? Can it be kept off? Pings seem very high still and lag in online games seems an issue.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

If your interleaving is switched off you won't see it on the member account "interleaving"
You can see both photo before and after (interleaving option) below
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Not sure about the accuracy of that advice. I've not had that icon for a considerable time (probably years) and for at least 6 months of that time interleaving was on.
The only way to tell for sure is to look at what the router tells you. Does it say fast or fast path? Look at the error counts if there any FEC errors logged interleaving is on.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)