Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to interpret BT line information?

Stef
Grafter

How to interpret BT line information?

Hello,
Below is some info I have gleamed off a BT site for a BT line that currently has a BT ADSL product running on it (Not sure if Max or not - actually probably pre-Max). I presume that it says "ADSL cannot currently be provisioned because an incompatible product exists on this line" because it already has BT broadband running on it!
The phone is 2.4Km from the exchange (2Km as the crow flys)
What I want to determine (Without actually testing it) is how fast *MAY* I be able to drive this line?
(As you can see from the figs below they seem contradictory, especially RED sentence)
Any thoughts much appreciated,
(I wonder: Is it up to 2Mbps for standard ADSL? Upto 5.8Mbps/800Kbps upstream for ADSL Max? and upto 6.4Mbps/1.5Mbps upstream for ADSL2+)
Am I reading this right?
Thanks,
Stef

The exchange 'EANCN' is enabled for ADSL
and is Datastream enabled
The exchange 'EANCN' is enabled for LLU
Line Qualification
It is likely that services up to 2Mbps can be delivered on this line.
Our tests show that Max is available
Estimated line speed for Max service is: 5.8 Mbps
Estimated line speed for ADSL2+ is: 6.4 Mbps
Estimated upstream speed for Annex M: 1.5 Mbps
All speeds are indicative only and actual speeds achieved are subject to line conditions and distance from exchange.
Further Information ( Supplied by BT )
ADSL cannot currently be provisioned because an incompatible product exists on this line
13 REPLIES 13
James
Grafter

Re: How to interpret BT line information?

Bang on Stef.
That's exactly what the line checker is telling you.  Bear in mind though that it's referring to synchronisation speeds and not throughput (which will be a little lower) though.
Stef
Grafter

Thanks,
Two more thoughts:
1/ Why are the ADSL2+ figures only marginally better then the ADSL Max figures (Admittedly upstream is twice as fast). Is it a distance thing? i.e. You would expect ADSL2+ to be a lot faster if you were closer to the exchange? 
2/ Are PN offering any ADSL2+ products yet?
Smiley Ta
James
Grafter

1) They are distance dependant.  It's still ADSL, just the upper boundaries of speeds are higher.  For a number of lines, it's not going to make *that* much difference.
2) News on this very soon Smiley
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

If your "distance" figure is a real line length it will be faster than that (over 7mbps), and ADSL2+ will be significantly faster again (over 12!).
You won't know until you plug a router in and get an attenuation reading though.
pd
Grafter

According to kitz, if your line length is 2.4km that would equate to anattenuation figure of about 34db which would theoretically give you a synch of 7616 on dslMAX and 12352 on adsl2+ but as James has pointed out, you are not going to know until you actually plug in a router as your attenuation figure, although mainly dependant on line length, can also be adversely affected by other things such as your internal wiring, filters, noisy environment  etc.
Once your attenuation gets up to about 50 there is no benefit from adsl2+ over MAX.
Peter
Stef
Grafter

Thanks,
I may be able to get some stats off the existing ADSL modem and then I'll report back...
Stef
Grafter

The existing service seems to be a ADSL MAX service. These are the stats off the Netgear DG834G which is currently connected:
Down
Speed: 7616 kbps
Attenuation (db): 30
Noise margin (db): 8
Up
Speed: 448 kbps
Attenuation (db): 9.5
Noise margin (db): 20
Now my guess from these stats is that with ADSL2+ downstream I should be able to go at least 50% faster if not faster still. What do you think?
The real puzzle for me is what the upstream is going to be (and this is the one that is really important to me). Am I likely to get 1mbps ? 1.5mbps ? or higher Huh
At the moment as there is no PN offering I would probably be going through Tiscali LLU?
Thanks,
Stef
James
Grafter

Hiya Stef,
Any idea when your exchange is due to be upgraded for ADSL2+ on the BT network?
Your line stats are better than mine and I generally get 900Kbps *throughput* on upstream on ADSL2+.
We don't place any orders on Tiscali LLU anymore and haven't for a couple of years.
Stef
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Hiya Stef,
Any idea when your exchange is due to be upgraded for ADSL2+ on the BT network?

Does:
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EANCN
help you answer that question?
I'm thinking LLU (or possibly cable) may be the only way to 'go faster' pro tem?
Unless you have got any other ideas?
Many thanks,
Stef
James
Grafter

Possibly!
But we could give you upto 832Kbps upstream for an extra £8/mth instead of upt 448Kbps.
Stef
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Possibly!
But we could give you upto 832Kbps upstream for an extra £8/mth instead of upt 448Kbps.

I need to do the sums  Undecided
Thanks again
MickKi
Grafter

Is 832 kbps upstream only available on PN business tarrif?
Will it result in any loss of downstream speed, or will BT use additional copper pair?
PS.  Am I right in interpreting this info from Samknows to mean I won't be getting more than upto 8 Mbps until 2011?!!
[tt]21CN WBC status: RFS date set : 31/03/2011
21CN PSTN switchover target: Q3 2008[/tt]
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

1) 832kbps upload is available to all broadband customers by raising a ticket at http://trials.plus.net. It costs £8 per month. The option uses more of the currently unused lower frequency range and has no effect on download speeds.
2) 21CN WBC status:  RFS date set : 31/03/2011 does indeed mean that with current BT plans the 21CN higher speed service will not be available on your exchange until March 2011. However there is always a chance that date will be brought forward.
David