cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to improve sync speed?

arjem
Grafter

How to improve sync speed?

I am struggling to get my IP Profile above 1250kps. Plusnet have tested my line with the router connected into the test socket in the BT master socket and reported 'sync speed increased considerably while the equipment was connected to the test socket' Plusnet suggested 're-check the internal lines as there appears to be something causing an effect on your speed'.
My question is how to check internal lines and voice equipment in order to isolate the problem. The wiring is buried in the fabric of the building. Connected to the wiring are two corded phones, one answerphone and one cordless system with three handsets.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Regards.
35 REPLIES 35
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: How to improve sync speed?

Before doing too much fiddling with bell wires and things like that the best way is to connect the router to the master faceplate via an ADSLNation filtered faceplate. is this a possibility
http://www.adslnation.co.uk/products/xte2005.php
pierre_pierre
Grafter

have all the phone got filters on them, and the answer phone?
can you show your router stats?, if you dont know how see here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
arjem
Grafter

Thanks for replies.
It is possible to fit a face plate. I have been reading about the BT I-Plate and ADSLNation filtered face plate and was not certain which was appropriate or which was legal for me to fit.
I do have filters on all the phones including the answer phone.
My Router statistices are :
Mode: G.DMT 
Type: Interleave 
Line Coding: Trellis Off 

Downstream                                          Upstream
Rate (Kbps):                    1856                                                448 

SNR Margin (dB):            14.1                                                    23.0 
Attenuation (dB):              42.0                                                    23.0 
Output Power (dBm):      11.9                                                    17.8 
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

As long as you have a 'standard' BT NTE-5 master socket you can fit either device, as you are only removing the faceplate part of the master socket to fit these devices, either are perfectly legal.  I agree with OLDJIM tha the ADSL Nation filtered faceplate is the better option if you can connect the router directly to it, it is supposed to be incorporate a superior quality filter.
The I-Plate only isolates the bell wire of any extension wiring so must still be used with normal filters.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Basically you should be getting much faster speeds than you are so I would suggest fitting a filtered faceplate and moving the router to the master socket.
Note that to do this you will need to remove the wires from the removable lower faceplate and reconnect them to the filtered faceplate.
It you decide to do that you will need the following
http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=105
http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=93
This is the installation guide - and it is totally legal for you to do it
http://www.adslnation.co.uk/downloads/docs/XTE-2005_Guide.pdf
Note that you should only connect the wires to connections 2 and 5 as the rest are superfluous
arjem
Grafter

Thanks oldjim. I will buy and fit the ADSLNation faceplate as you suggest and see what happens. You have cleared up some of the questions I had about it. I think I can then dispense with the ADSL filters on the other telephone equipment connected to the same line. Is that correct?
Regards.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

correct
James
Grafter

Re:How to improve sync speed?

Let us know how you get on Arjem.
Hopefully you should see a reduction in noise margin and an increase in sync speeds (and profile).
arjem
Grafter

Thanks James for your interest too. I ordered the ADSLNation faceplate on Sunday following the advice of Oldjim. Royal Mail has just delivered it. Great service - less than 2 days to get it via ADSLNation and Royal Mail despite the strikes. As soon as I turn off my PC and persuade my other half to stop emailing the world and turn her PC off, I will fit it and let you know what happens.
Regards
James
Grafter

Cheers Smiley
arjem
Grafter

Results from Day 1 after fitting an ADSLNation faceplate:
- had to reboot the router first thing this morning (4/11) as had lost connection to exchange
- just (2030hrs) run the BT speed test and results shown below compared to same test  after installing faceplate yesterday
                                        3/11                        4/11           
Download speed                1040kps                  956kps
DSL Conn rate Down        1856kps                3872kps
                        UP            440kps                  440kps
IP Profile                          1500kps                3000kps
I read these results as I now have better potential for improved download speed but have actually achieved a slower result at this time. Are these results what I should expect after 1 day of use of the new faceplate? Will it get better?
Regards.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

You need to wait until PN are told about the IP profile increase by BT then your speeds will be quicker (unless a rep sees this and does the necessary).
See what you get under connection settings -> high speed broadband
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That is much more like it - but I am surprised that your ipProfile has jumped to 3000kbps so quickly.
Are you sure your upstream rate isn't 448kbps
If you go here I suspect it will still show 1500kbps as it takes about 12 hours to catch up https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Now all you need to do is to wait for the default noise margin to drop - this will take a few weeks - to get even faster speeds
arjem
Grafter

Thanks for the replies. I have just checked the PN Profile and it reports 'Current Line Speed = 3000'. So I am hoping that when I next check the BT Speedtest I will see a jump in download speed. I have to wait the three hours from my last test at 0800hrs when the download speed was reported as 1097kps.
Thanks Oldjim and you are correct that upload speed was reported as 448ks. I must have done a bit of rounding. I am still learning about signal noise and wondered when and how it can be improved. So from your reply it seems I just have to wait. Is signal noise affected by router connection time as the router has had to be rebooted once per day since I installed the ADSLNation faceplate?