cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get networx to monitor Technicolor TG582n router?

mikko
Grafter

How to get networx to monitor Technicolor TG582n router?

My FTTC broadband is used by many devices in my household. In order to get greater detail of usage than provided by the PN usage page I'd like to monitor the Technicolor TG582n router.
When trying to set this up from the networx settings the IP address shows as 192.168.1.254 and the WAN Interface box is empty. Therefore I get the message "Router interface cannot be empty. Probably your router does not support SNMP required for this feature".
Is there any way around this?
3 REPLIES 3
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: How to get networx to monitor Technicolor TG582n router?

I think SNMP will generally be confined to (more expensive) business class routers rather then (cheaper) home routers like the TG582n. NetWorx has the capability to collect and amalgamate data from multiple instances on the network but unfortunately it runs only on Windows.
David
mikko
Grafter

Ok and thanks
deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Just got my 582n and liking the depth of the CLI commands via telnet for playing about, and also that it's allowing routing of a domain resolved to your external IP to internal service from within the internal LAN (i.e. so I can access my LAN web and mail servers using the external domain names, but from within the LAN. Something a lot of NAT based routers don't allow).
Good things so far. However it looks like I'm going to lose SNMP I had on my previous router?
Reading around there are comments saying it's not the hardware, it's just they deliberately removed it from the firmware.
A shame, as there's nothing at all in the UI to keep track of the router's signal and throughput. Things that are very useful when it comes to reporting problems.
To say it's just a commercial grade function is odd when they do include Syslog support, so I can forward my router log to another box (in my case my Synology NAS running the Syslog server app). Something that home users would not be interested in generally. That and a wide range of other controls via telnet.