cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get a reply, and/or, any help from Plusnet?

HoursWasted
Hooked

How to get a reply, and/or, any help from Plusnet?

Hi

I'm new to this Forum as a means of trying to get in touch with Plusnet.

Having spoken to many of their "assistants" in Sheffield over the last 2 weeks, I have yet to find one who actually does what they promise or rings back.

Judging by the many derogatory comments, it looks like I am expecting too much, and feel stupid as I agreed to another 18 month contract on the understanding that the broadband speed would be clarified.

That's one of the stupidest, most time consuming, frustrating things I have ever done.

18 REPLIES 18
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 260

Re: How to get a reply, and/or, any help from Plusnet?

@HoursWasted What exactly are you looking for in terms of help?

John
HoursWasted
Hooked

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

If anyone has a contact at Plusnet who doesn't just listen, apologise, promise to sort the issue and is never heard of again that would be amazing.

On a general note, my problem is regarding the broadband speed I can get.  I have no understanding what determines these speeds and Plusnet do not seem to know either - there is a Fibre Cabinet near the end of my road and neighbours get 60/80 which some Plusnet staff say I can get and others say I can only get a max of 30.

I have been going round and round in circles for 2 weeks now and am feeling very dizzy!!

jab1
Legend

OK. Enter your phone number into this link: https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL and post a screenshot of the result, making sure your phone number is obscured.

John
HoursWasted
Hooked

Hi

Sorry couldn't get a screenshot without the phone number!!

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps)
WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in Jumper
High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) help 80 60 20 18.1 55 Available Available --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) help 80 57.5 20 16.8 49 Available Available --
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install Process
FTTP on Demand 1000 220 -- Available --
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date Left in Jumper
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 4 -- 3 to 5 Available --
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available --
SOADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in Jumper
WBC SOADSL 2+ Up to 4 -- 3 to 5 -- --
SOADSL Fixed Rate Up to 1 --   -- --
Observed Speeds VDSL
Max Observed Downstream Speed 32.39
Max Observed Upstream Speed 20
Observed Date 2023-01-18
Other Offerings Availability Date
VDSL Multicast Available
ADSL Multicast Available
Premise Environment Status
Bridge Tap U
VRI N
NTE FacePlate N
Last Test Date 03-01-2023
Exchange Product Restrictions Status
FTTP Priority Exchange N
WLR Withdrawal N
SOADSL Restriction Y

FTTP is not available.

The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

WLR is currently available at the exchange

SOADSL is restricted at the exchange

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

For all SOADSL services,the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

jab1
Legend

OK - what you have posted tells me what I need to know anyway. You are obviously on the Fibre Extra (80/20) product, but for some reason you have a fault somewhere - you should be getting 57.5Mb/s even on an impacted line, but obviously you aren't.

Can you please follow the guidance below, and I will advise of the next steps.

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots, posted as pictures within the topic, not as attachments:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (Ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub (with the 'Username' obscured) would be a good starting point.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If you are unsure about any of the above, please just ask - I am happy to help.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@HoursWasted 

If you want to know yout phone number then ring 17070 and you will be told. A wired phone only costs a few pounds and is a very useful fault finding instrument. One of the first tests to do is to again ring 17070 and then select option 2, the quiet line test. If there is background noise then this will more than likely be the source of your speed problems.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

@Baldrick1 Looking at that ADSL checker report, I think the OP was saying he couldn't work out how to obscure the number in a screenshot - it certainly looks  to be one obtained using the phone number option.

Hopefully, if they follow my instructions, we may get to the bottom of this.

John
HoursWasted
Hooked

Hi

I am so glad that this makes sense to you!!

I have just renewed on the Unlimited Fibre deal (38/40 download speed) as Plusnet cannot decide whether I can have the faster Unlimited Fibre Extra deal (estimated 60/72 speed) or not.

I have lost count of the number of people I have spoken to who say the higher speed is available, as my neighbours have, but everytime I get put back to the Sales Team to upgrade the computer says no.

As no-one calls back as promised, I end up ringing, speaking to someone else and reciting the whole saga again.

I haven't had to deal with this before so I don't know whether to try another provider or if that will be the same ...

Baldrick1

@jab1 

Ah, I now get the meaning. I was assuming that @HoursWasted  was using the address version. It would also be useful to know the contractual MGAL speed.

Moderator and Customer

jab1
Legend

@HoursWasted That BT Wholesale picture clearly shows you should be able to obtain the Fibre Extra product, with reasonable speeds.

It also (although this could be an error, the checker can get a bit confused), that you got 20Mb/s on their last check, but if you are only on the 40/10 product, that is an error.

Can you please follow my post #6 and then we will have a fuller picture on which to base our recommendations.

John
HoursWasted
Hooked

Hi

Thank you so much for all your efforts in helping me with this.

Plusnet themselves say Yes I Can then No I Can't and I can't get a definitive answer,

I have been told so many different stories - including twice that the problem is my house is a flat, to which the next set of people said they had no clue where that idea had come from!!

I have to go out now but I will follow your suggestions later.

Many thanks again

jab1
Legend

The fact you are in a flat is totally irrelevant! You have a phone-line, and the switch from 40/10 to 80/20 is merely a profile change - nothing else.

John
Baldrick1

This really needs a Plusnet staffer to have a look. Could it be nothing more than the service is currently Fibre and its the 'you can't make any changes' flag stuck again that's stopping an upgrade to Fibre Extra, or is it a fault on the infrastructure?

Moderator and Customer

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

I suspect that it is the maximum observed speed of 32Mbps that is stopping Plusnet from offering the 80/20 package.

However, the available products show that a minimum download of 57Mbps should be available. Even if you were on the 40/10 package then you should get the full 40Mbs - but as the observed upstream is 20Mbps it does look as if you are on the 80/20.

That suggests that there is a fault somewhere. If you haven't already tried the quiet line test as John suggested, I'd do that first. If it is noisy (crackling or whatever) then report a phone fault. If it is quiet then check your internal wiring isn't the cause of the low speed - make sure the router is in the master socket, and if you have one with a removable front plate, then remove that and plug the router into the internal socket (that disconnects any internal wiring). If that doesn't help, then you need to explore further (router stats will help).