cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get Plusnet to activate your broadband - any tips???

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: How to get Plusnet to activate your broadband - any tips???

@Townman wrote:

@198kHz - would you know what " activity 8 work at the distribution point external" means please?  To me the DP is somewhere on the d-Side!

Nope, never heard that phrase before, and I can't fathom how it's at all relevant anyway, assuming they mean 'DP' as we understand it. I note that it's now been clarified that it's a simple ADSL switch between ISPs, requiring no work externally at all.

As far as I can see reading this thread it's all down to an almighty rooster-up within BTOR, and I sincerely hope that @breakinpig 's letter will bang some heads together.  🤞🏼

EDIT: Just a thought - is it possible that, by an unfortunate coincidence, the OP's D-side pair was 'nicked' on 21 September to provide or repair another customer's line, and that's what screwed the records up?

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@198kHz - thank you.

That is exactly where my thinking was going. In that slim window between the circuit coming free from Sky and into the foul up which led to the migration failure, some other repair in the area stole the d-side pair.

That being the case it’s possible that there are now no spare pairs and significant new cabling is required ... or records need to be updated to find a spare working pair.

One hopes that BTOR have not lost the subscriber’s phone number!!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

On reflection - maybe the E-side has been 'taken' too.  🤔

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

... and that would complicate things within the exchange ... suddenly no longer a simple pair patch swap on the exchange frame.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

breakinpig
Rising Star

Well, I’ve heard back from Clive Selley. He says he’ll ask an aide to look into the error. No apology, no sense of urgency. I am not filled with confidence
breakinpig
Rising Star

Also, with regard to the 3 day gap. Could that explain why there was no order in the BTOR CSS system on 3 Oct, 4 weeks after the order was placed?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

There is a history of BT B2B systems cancelling orders where there are problems, rather than BT fixing those problems. Sometimes orders cancelled by BT in such a manner do not automatically alert that there is an issue in PlusNET’s business systems ... and can get missed until investigated manually.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

An acknowledgement is very positive. In the past I did not receive any acknowledgement but cages did get rattled.

breakinpig
Rising Star

@Townman good to know. I think @Gandalf starts his shift at 11.30 so let's see if Clive has dropped the hammer and the update's been done by then!!!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

If it turns out good today, we will never know! It could by now have reached the point where @Gandalf ‘s efforts bite and produce a result without further help. Whatever, there can be hope that the letter might initiate an investigation of BT’s internal conduct of your case.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

PS: the security of your phone number also needs to be addressed. There has to be some level of risk that the number has been lost ... I take it you do not have a working phone line? If you do, then some of the work required messages are confusing!!

breakinpig
Rising Star

Hi @Townman, agreed. Glad we've got @Gandalf going in to bat for us

breakinpig
Rising Star

Apologies - missed this question @Townman. Plusnet tells me that the phone line is working. We don't use a landline so can't verify this.

Would be good to clarify somehow as it's also Plusnet's excuse for continuing to charge us while we have no broadband.

breakinpig
Rising Star

@Gandalf @Townman @198kHz 

Latest update:

I received an email from someone at Openreach...

"There was an issue identified in migration order from MPF to SMPF due to exchange jumpering issue. However, I have noticed a new SMPF order has been placed today and we will expedite the order for activation. Also, we will investigate the reason for order cancelation due to jumpering task fail and will let you know."

Means nowt to me but maybe something to you?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Glad to see there's progress!

For clarification, the phone order completed with us on 24/09/20 moving you phone line across onto BT equipment at the exchange. However during the order's journey through the systems, due to a system issue it never went into a 'confirmed' state so the linked broadband order was stuck in a delayed state not being fully built in all the systems as a result.

This meant that the required configuration and/or exchange work to fulfill the broadband order wasn't carried out. Rather than continue chasing the delayed order, I took the decision to cancel the order with a view to replace. Unfortunately it looks like whatever issue in the system caused the delay in the first instance messed up the records a tad.

I'm happy to confirm that as per Openreach's update to you that the records are now corrected and a new broadband order has been placed. The order's currently confirmed for a completion on 19/10/20 on the back of the standard lead time.

However I've raised a request directly to the relevant team within Openreach to expedite the order and I'll provide an update as soon as I've got a response back (You may receive a response sooner than me, based on the response you got).

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet