cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to extend my fibre broadband network

simon123

How to extend my fibre broadband network

I have a fibre broadband modem connected to a plus net fibre router. I have a shed at the back of the garden I am converting to a games room and want to extend my internet connection to the shed. I am running a cat 5 cable in an underground duct between he house and games room and had thought I could connect to the LAN2 socket on the BT modem but apparently this does not work.  What is the best way to connect? Should I just plug the cat 5 cable into the router and if so how do I then get a wireless and wired network working in the games room?
8 REPLIES 8
samuria
Grafter

Re: How to extend my fibre broadband network

The cable will give you one connection if you want wireless you will need a wireless router and plug the cable into that you will have to turn of dhcp on the router and plug the cable into a lan socket so in effect its being used as a switch
picbits
Rising Star

Run the CAT5 cable between the two points and bang a socket on each end.
Plug the end from your workshop into a cheap switch (5 or 8 port) and the other end into a LAN port on your PN router. This will give you the fastest wired connection between the two points.
If you want both wired and wireless then you can then use a cheap cable router (I use an Edimax which I got off Amazon for £5) by plugging the workshop end of the CAT5 into a LAN port of the new router and setting the wireless password - traffic will be routed between the two ends and locally - you'll also have another three ports (usually) on the router for wired devices.
You can go a bit more complicated and set up another network segment on the remote router and hook up the WAN port (or set the router as an Access Point depending on what router it is) but that's getting a bit more complicated.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

@simon123 You didn't mention the mix of wired/wireless you would need, so:
As @pcbits, I would use a wireless router for up to 4 wired connexions using the WAN port for the link or a switch plus WAP if more than 4 or if you want comms between any two systems on your network (or if it's cheaper!). For future proofing, I would use Gigabit devices (assuming it's CAT5e), as there's not much of a premium vs fast ethernet.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
picbits
Rising Star

Watch out for using the WAN port for the link as you may end up double-NAT'ing your network which can cause weird issues.
By using the LAN port on your remote router you just pass the wireless traffic and data on the LAN ports between each other without any further messing about.
simon123

Thanks everybody - your advice is appreciated.  It is a Cat 5e cable so I should be OK on that front.  As far as I can see from your replies the best way is to connect to a LAN port on the router in the house and connect another router in the shed via a LAN port.  Do I need to do anything else, such as turn dhcp off?
Smiley
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Another option is powerline adapters.
If the shed is going to be on the same mains ring then powerline adapters should work.
I'm using them for in the garage and they work quite well, they pass the ethernet connection via your mains so no need for an ethernet cable between the house and the shed.
On the other hand - just run an ethernet cable from a port on the back of the ROUTER not MODEM.  On the other end of the ethernet cable plug it into a switch if you want multiple wired connections or a cable router for wireless.
You should then turn off DHCP on the cable router not the Plusnet router.
It should work both wirelessly and wired. 
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I'd recommend these for powerline adapters - these ones are the ones I use between house and garage.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-AV500-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B0084Y9N3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qi...
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
picbits
Rising Star

Quote from: simon123
  Do I need to do anything else, such as turn dhcp off?

Yes - make sure DHCP is off Smiley