Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to display the router home page

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: How to display the router home page

Sounds like the network interface on the laptop may be preconfigured with a static IP (or locked down from connecting to new networks using DHCP), could that be the case? That way any new network wouldn't actually configure itself to work properly, hence why you get no connectivity.
Not sure how that then works with the VPN software, unless that's what is controlling the network's autonconfiguration? Might be worth asking the IT team at your workplace how it's all set up if that is the case, just a possibility though.
DynaUK
Dabbler

Matt - I was thinking on the same grounds as you. I even tried uninstalling the network drivers and reinstalling them but to no luck.
What puzzles is I am not sure where this block has been done as I have tried all the possible places to look.
My work place IT help desk have been very supportive as they have not come across this problem before with any other office colleague.
Thanks
jim:quote
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Apologies if you've tried this, but if you run an ipconfig /all command from a command prompt both with and without the VPN software running what is shown?
Just wondering what IP addresses you get, if any (best to have a network cable plugged into the laptop for this).
Another thought is if firewall software might be blocking traffic on any 'untrusted' (i.e. new) networks.
DynaUK
Dabbler

Quote from: Matt
Apologies if you've tried this, but if you run an ipconfig /all command from a command prompt both with and without the VPN software running what is shown?
Just wondering what IP addresses you get, if any (best to have a network cable plugged into the laptop for this).
Another thought is if firewall software might be blocking traffic on any 'untrusted' (i.e. new) networks.

Hi Matt
I have connected the laptop through a network cable to the router
With or Without VPN, when you do ipconfig / all, I get the Default Gateway as 192.168.1.254 (which belongs to the router) along with my PC's IP address.
Thanks
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Understood, but was the IP the same in both situations and was it also on the same subnet as the router (i.e. in the format of 192.168.1.x)? If so it would seem that something is stopping all network traffic apart from that of the VPN.
DynaUK
Dabbler

Hi
I have bottomed out where the issue is. It is something to do with the THOMSON router for sure
Reason : I took my laptop and connected it at my friends place. I was able to access the internet / router page without having to connect to AT&T
I will try with my router at home again to see if I can connect it again without the use of AT&T / VPN path.
In the meantime, does anyone had similar issues in bringing up the router from Plusnet THOMSON ones?
Thanks
dick:quote
DynaUK
Dabbler

I have tried once again with my THOMSON router @ home (PLUSNET) and I have this issues in connecting to Internet / router directly.
When I tried the same at my friends place who has a BELKIN router & with a different provider, I am able to access the internet / router without any issues.
So , does this mean that the THOMSON router is preventing something to access the internet / router directly as its getting strange now.
I have tried it through network cables and in every single network port on the THOMSON router.
Any thoughts will be really helpful
Thanks
jim:quote
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

It does not necessarily mean this is the Thomson router.  When Windows (and possibly other software on your computer) detects a new network it will establish settings for the network and may ask questions.  If you give the wrong answer to the questions or the security software gets it wrong then you might just find yourself in this situation.  You need to invite your friend and their laptop over to your place to see if they can connect to your router and to the internet.