cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to cripple your new found fibre broadband!

WThor

How to cripple your new found fibre broadband!

If you are as lucky as me and get Fibre to the cabinet installed.
Love the speed and then decide you need to set up the router.
Plusnet provide the Technicolor TG582n router.
it comes with some advance options and being a IT professional with children I want to restrict some of the webpages they look at.
So I enabled the Parent Control option within the router and added a few URLs to be blocked.
Big mistake! The router just can't cope with it. Trying to load any webpages after is a nightmare the speed became like the 20year old dialup modem I used at 9600bps....
Even though I could download files over FTP at 4.5Mbytes per second webpages would not load.
Trying to run a speedtest at www.speedtest.net just timed out.
Just a shame to provide a tool that is not fit for purpose it would be better that this router did not have the feature enable as it can't perform the task.
For anyone else that might want to try it I would recommend buying a better router fit for purpose.
Then we come to fixed IP addresses.. there is no way to give certain MACs a fixed set IP without having to telnet to the router.
5 REPLIES 5
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: How to cripple your new found fibre broadband!

My Netgear does MAC -> IP addressing via a web page.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: WThor
Then we come to fixed IP addresses.. there is no way to give certain MACs a fixed set IP without having to telnet to the router.

Yes, save the configuration file, edit it and load the edited version  Shocked Roll_eyes
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
digitalham
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Just about all ISP issued routers are very basic . You are lucky it has telnet access as most ISPs flash their routers with custom firmware with everything but the most basic options locked down
If you want a full featured high perfomance router then buying your own is the way forward. There is no compulsion to take the free router - I didn't.
That said I'm surprised something as simple as a URL filter would require much power to operate.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@WThor
Thanks for the feedback and I'm sorry to hear the parental filtering was a disappointing experience Sad
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
AndyH
Grafter

If you want parental filtering, try OpenDNS - it's free and works really well http://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/parental-controls/opendns-home/