cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create Home Network with Seagate 4T external hard drive and new PN Hub One superfibre router

pnuser
Grafter

How to create Home Network with Seagate 4T external hard drive and new PN Hub One superfibre router

I hope someone can help please.

I am an OLD PN customer (2002) just upgraded from 4-5 Mg to superfibre on Friday, with an 80 Mg potential, the box is just at the end of the field here.

Before Friday we had a home network with a Seagate 4T external hard drive with all the files, photos, music etc for back up and for accessing across different machines.

We also had a pretty stable access via a Samsung telly to youtube, which is used a lot; Amazon, Iplayer etc etc. .. also used quite a bit as normal telly is tripe ! and we are working hours that mean we catch up more than watch at the time.

As of Friday we installed the Hub One as supplied, and we have now gone up to about 35 Mg but we have no home network : the external drive is not recognised at all

and anything online through the telly mostly drops out catastrophically !

As an existing customer we did not get the great deal that new customers get, and have just had the most unhelpful conversation I have ever had with PN Customers services in 15 years.

please can someone help me fix what really should be pretty basic service issues .. THANK YOU .!

8 REPLIES 8
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: How to create Home Network with Seagate 4T external hard drive and new PN Hub One superfibre ro

What was the old router? Is the Seagate connected wirelessly or wired?

Assuming the network is all wireless, have you reconnected both the TV and disk to the new network? It will have a different SSID = Network identity.

Assuming you have done the changes on the TV and are still getting dropouts, it may be worth changing the SSID on the 5GHz wireless network to something different from the 2.4GHz one - add a 5 to the end. Some devices get confused if the 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks have the same SSID?

For the Seagate disk. If wireless, have you reconnected it to the new wireless SSID?. If it's wired, have you switched it off and back on? It may need to get a new address from the router.

The other possibility is that the Seagate is on the new network, but the PC's are still trying to access it at the old address. How do you access it?  By name, by IP address or as a mapped drive?. If it's by IP address then is the address correct? The new router may have allocated a different address.

If by name, it's possible that the router thinks it's different, look at the routers DHCP Table to check.

If you have the drive mapped to a drive letter in windows, then try remapping, the new router may have broken the linkage.

Without a lot more detail it's hard to be more specific.

pnuser
Grafter

Re: How to create Home Network with Seagate 4T external hard drive and new PN Hub One superfibre ro

Thanks for your reply. I have the Seagate hard drive hard wired to the usb port on the router. It takes power through the usb cable. I have switched on the router and then connected the hard drive and I have tried switching on and then connecting the hard drive. The hard drive works with the same usb cable when plugged directly to a laptop The problem is that when you access the hub manager  the USB port shows no device detected.  

pnuser
Grafter

TV issue has resolved I hope .. seems to be more stable now. 

wisty
Pro

What size is the  hard drive, and how has it been formatted.

I believe there are constraints on the formats that the Hub 1 will recognise, and a limit on the maximum size. It may also be a power issue. have you tried providing external power to the drive?

There are various discussions on the BT forums  about hard drives and the HH5 - which is the same as the PlusNet Hub 1.

One suggestion ( from https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Connecting-external-Hard-Drives-to-Home-Hub-5/td... message 14) is

However the WORK AROUND options are:-

• Windows Start button> in the search box type run common > click on the run icon when the run box appears> type. \\192.168.1.254\usb1. That will allow you to access the drive connected to your BT Hub 5 USB port.
  • Other way is:- start> click on computer> click on map network drive> select the drive you want to map. I called mine K. In the dialogue box type> \\192.168.1.254\usb1

pnuser
Grafter

Thank you for your help ,, it is much appreciated.
It is a 4T drive. .. pretty common bit of kit.

There is no other form of power, it only has a USB cable ..how else can it be powered, and how can it then be connected to the home network ?

It was working fine on the previous pre fibre router. No idea what formatting, obviously its full of files now.

I am really confused about PN selling us a router that does not do such a basic and common activity as having an external drive as a  home network .. with all the images, music etc that families gather to share between devices, this is so routine these days Smiley

(this is a different model but its the same set up)
41rZrIBZhiL

wisty
Pro

Almost certainly 4TB is too big for the Hub 1.

My only suggestions are

Find a box that can allow USB drives to be seen as NAS. Something like http://www.addonics.com/products/nas40esu.php

Connect your old router via an Ethernet port, with wireless and DHCP turned off and see if it will present the drive on the network.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

It's probably formatted as exFAT which the Hub One doesn't support IIRC.
wisty
Pro

One possibility you might  investigate is

https://www.hootoo.com/hootoo-tripmate-nano-ht-tm02-wireless-portable-router.html

Amazon are doing them for £21.

Looks like it will do what you want. Claims to support 4Tb drives.