cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to convert 1 port router to multiport router?

mexicano
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

How to convert 1 port router to multiport router?

Hi folks,
My pc is connected to broadband via ethernet cable using a Speedtouch St-516 1-port router that I received from PN when I signed up. My problem now is that I need more ports, at least 2, so I can connect my blu-ray player to the internet, and also I hear that Anytime+ Plus from Sky will be opened up to all Sky subscribers and not just Sky broadband users, from this  Easter.
So my question is: How can I "split" the 1 port into 4 ports or should I just buy a new router? Which is easier or cheaper?
If you recommend I buy a new router then can you tell me which one would be best?
Many thanks
4 REPLIES 4
manfromthezoo
Grafter

Re: How to convert 1 port router to multiport router?

I'm not familiar with the Speedtouch kit, but you should be able to plug in a cheap 5 port switch. Something like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Unmanaged-Desktop-TL-SF1005D-Plastic/dp/B000FNFSPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF...
manfromthezoo
Grafter

Just had a quick look at the ST-516, and I think it'll be fine.
Zero config, and much cheaper than a new router at £7, but remember you'll need power close by to plug it in.
JEB
Grafter

If you ask support and agree to sign up for another 12 months I expect you can get anyone router free and only have to pay P&P.

James
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

you ask support and agree to sign up for another 12 months I expect you can get anyone router free and only have to pay P&P.

Yes, we can do this. If for what ever reason you needed to leave within that 12 month period the only upshot would be having to pay £40 for the router, otherwise after the year it's yours.
Let me know if that's what you want to do.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team