Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change to ADSL2+

minimos
Grafter

How to change to ADSL2+

Hi,
I am on the Plus Net Pro package and a few months back was migrated to the ASDL2+ platform but kept on the ASDL1 connection.
I think I would like to be moved to ASDL2 connection but have a few questions beforehand
1.  My current line profile is 4000, and I regularly connect between 4632Kbps and 5100Kbps, am I likely to see an increase?
2.  What cost is there for change to ASDL2?
3.  Does changing to the new connection method renew my contract and give me a tie in period?
4.  What are the gotchas/common problems do I need to look out for on ASDL2?
5.  How do I actually request the change to ASDL2?
I have an 834G which is capable for supporting the new connection method.
Thanks in advance
Minimos
21 REPLIES 21
Mand
Grafter

Re: How to change to ADSL2+

Hi there,
To answer your questions in order:
1) There's no guarantee, but if you post your attenuation stats we'll be better placed to give you a decent estimate.
2) There's no cost.
3) Nope, your contract will remain exactly as it is.
4) It's still a fairly new service, so there are a few teething problems occasionally, but nothing really widespread.
5) I can arrange it for you, or you can raise a ticket on your account. Once requested it takes approximately 48 hours to complete (as you're already on 21CN and this would be just a regrade.
minimos
Grafter

Hi Mand,
Thanks for the reply.
Here are some of my router stats, what is the likelihood of an increase in performance.
Downstream
Connection Spead 5376
Line Attenuation = 44db
Noise Margin = 7db
Upstream
Connection Speed = 448
Line Attenuation = 14.5db
Noise Margin = 22db
Also, does the upstream speed go up on the new connection?
Thanks,
Minimos
Mand
Grafter

Based on that attenuation you'd be looking at a connection speed of 7500 on ADSL2+, so it's worth doing for the increase you'd get.
The max upstream on ADSL2+ is 1Mb, but that depends on line quality, you should see some increase though.
minimos
Grafter

Brilliant..looks like a potentially good thing to do, thanks for the quick reply.
Please could you put in the regrade request for me.
Cheers
Minimos
Mand
Grafter

Done, will complete by tomorrow. Smiley
minimos
Grafter

Thank you
minimos
Grafter

Hi Mand,
It looks like the regrade completed successfully this morning..thanks for your assistance.
It has unfortunately raised another question for me, the downstream connection speed from yesterday has dropped slightly to 4642kbps (however it used to fluctuate on Max whenever I reconnected the router between this and 5376, so I don’t think it is a problem) but the upstream has gone to 762kbps with the log showing a reconnection about 5 hours ago which is when I assume the work was completed.
How does the 10 day stabilisation work:-
1. Does it start its search for the MSR by setting the speed to the last known good speed from Max DSL and then work up until it gets errors or line drop, hence why my downstream speed is roughly the same?
2. At what intervals does the exchange equipment change the line speed to a new value for test?
Cheers
Minimos
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
I'd expect the speeds to fluctuate over the next few days.
Have you seen a change in attenuation or noise margin?
minimos
Grafter

Hi,
Yes but only a slight change.
The downstream attenuation is still 44db but the noise margin has increased to 9db.
The upstream attenuation is now 13.5 with a NM of 4db
Cheers
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

See what happens when it settles I guess - which it should do within the next couple of days. If things haven't improved we'll get some line tests done and see where we go from there. I strongly suspect it will pick up though.
minimos
Grafter

Hi,
I have been monitoring my connection throughout today, and even though now I always seem to sync above 5000kpbs which is an improvement from the old ASDL it never gets anywhere near the figure Mand mentioned in her previous post.
Done some digging around on the internet and decided to investigate forcing the modem into a specific mode.  Forcing the 834G to ASDL2+ gets me the same as multi mode (I am using the custom DG firmware), however if I force the method to G.DMT then I get a DS at 5472 and a US at 992 which is the highest it has ever been but only a few 100 kbps above the ASDL2+ method although it is obviously maxed out as the SNR is now at 6 which I believe is the lowest tolerance point without tweaking for the BT network (for comparison my SNR on the ASDL2+ protocol is 9)  Now I realise G.DMT is the Max product but can anyone shed light as to why it will not seem to sync above the mid 5000 on either protocol when the estimator put it between 6 & 7?  Some router stats are below, it’s a little confusing cause before the regrade request I never got above a BRAS of 4000 due to my router always syncing in the higher 4000 to lower 5000's which is right, but it seems that forcing a protocol would have got me 500k more in BRAS.
AR7 DSL Modem Statistics:
--------------------------------
[DSL Modem Stats]
US Connection Rate: 992 DS Connection Rate: 5472
DS Line Attenuation: 44 DS Margin: 6
US Line Attenuation: 29 US Margin: 6
US Payload : 534576 DS Payload: 5821584
US Superframe Cnt : 6891 DS Superframe Cnt: 6891
US Transmit Power : 0 DS Transmit Power: 0
LOS errors: 0 SEF errors: 0
Errored Seconds: 0 Severely Err Secs: 0
Frame mode: 3 Max Frame mode: 0
Trained Path: 1 US Peak Cell Rate: 2339
Trained Mode: 3 Selected Mode: 3
ATUC Vendor Code: 54535443 ATUC Revision: 3
Hybrid Selected: 1 Trellis: 1
Showtime Count: 4 DS Max Attainable Bit Rate: 5472 kbps
BitSwap: 1 US Max Attainable Bit Rate: n/a

Annex: AnxA psd_mask_qualifier: 0x0000
Power Management Status: L0 DS HLINSC: 0
US ACTPSD: -345 DS ACTPSD: -356
Total init. errors: 0 Total init. timeouts: 0
Showtime init. errors: 0 Showtime init. timeouts: 0
Last showtime init. errors: 0 Last showtime init. timeouts: 0
ATUC ghsVid:  b5 00 54 53 54 43 05 10
T1413Vid: 00 00 T1413Rev: 00 VendorRev: 00
ATUR ghsVid:  b5 00 54 53 54 43 00 00
T1413Vid: 00 00 T1413Rev: 00 VendorRev: 00
Thanks in advance
Minmos
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Mand
Based on that attenuation you'd be looking at a connection speed of 7500 on ADSL2+, so it's worth doing for the increase you'd get.
The max upstream on ADSL2+ is 1Mb, but that depends on line quality, you should see some increase though.

@Mand
Could I suggest that if you (or any PN staff) give an estimated speed for ADSL2+ based on attenuation that some consideration is taken on the estimated and actual speed on dslMAX. An attenuation of 44dB return an estimated speed of 6112 for dslMAX and 7552 for ADSL2+. As the OP never sync near the estimated speed for dslMAX it's very unlikely that the line will sync near the estimated speed on ADSL2+
@minimos
Have you checked your internal wiring? Especially removing the ring wire http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm
minimos
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.
The modem is connected at the master socket, with 1 filter serving the modem and an extension for the phone which houses a DECT phone at the end, there are no other connections.  
I have not removed the bell wire but it is on my list of things to potentially do, but I don't want to start messing with wires until I have exhausted any other options that may exist (especially if I get it wrong)
minimos
Grafter

Hi,
My speed still hasn't increased however I have done further investigation.
I am thinking of investing in the I-Plate as an alternative to removing the bell wire.  Does anyone have any experience of this or maybe put some more technical detail about what it actually does?
Cheers
Minimos