cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How significant are errors in ADSL stats?

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

How significant are errors in ADSL stats?

I am inquisitive and not tech minded, so I was wondering how significant are 'errored seconds' and 'CRC errors' in stats output from my Binatone 500 modem.
For example is there a threshold above which they have serious outcomes for performance?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
3 REPLIES 3
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: How significant are errors in ADSL stats?

Generally the more errors you get the worst it is, but it really depends on the time period over which errors occur, the quantity  and whether the errors occur in bursts or continuously over the period in question.
Errors will occur on any ADSL connection and it depends on how well it copes as to whether it has any effect on throughput. On low quality lines, errors are more common.
Every line if different so there are no thresholds that say it s good or bad.
What are your figures and over what period does it occur?
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

HI Peter! Smiley As I said in my OP I am inquisitive. So what are errored seconds and CRC errors? FWIW these are my figures taken just now!
Downstream/ Upstream
Errored seconds 30/1
CRC errors 77/1
over 3h:9m:2s
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
fredor
Grafter

Quote from: lucerne
HI Peter! Smiley As I said in my OP I am inquisitive. So what are errored seconds and CRC errors? FWIW these are my figures taken just now!
Downstream/ Upstream
Errored seconds 30/1
CRC errors 77/1
over 3h:9m:2s

Those figures are very good for that time period.
My router (Netgear DG834PN) gives CRC and ES figures for every 15mins.
If ES rises into the 100's I start to have trouble. 900 of course and it is all error and no communication.
I have been running ES's in single figures until the last 15mins when it jumped to 85, probably due to increased contention. Figures are usually at their highest after 8:00pm.
CRC error are equal or more usually quite a bit higher than the Errored Seconds. Presumably because there can be more than 1 error in any 1 second.
Hope this helps.