cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How's your upload speed? (presales pondering)

Jack2359
Hooked

How's your upload speed? (presales pondering)

Hi

I am considering getting the Plusnet Unlimited Broadband (not fibre) service, but I need to know what the upload speed is likely to be. 

I understand that it varies by postcode.

I called Plusnet and they said for my area, download would be 7-17Mb/s and upload would be up to 1Mb/s.

But "up to" doesn't mean anything!  It is just marketing speak for "less than". 

0.99Mb/s is up to 1Mb/s.  0.001Mb/s is also up to 1Mb/s. 

So, can exsiting users give me an idea of what Plusnet (copper) upload speeds are like, (preferably along with download speeds, so I can see what the ratio is). 

thanks a lot

jack

(btw, I currently use G4 mobile data, so there is no landline active in my property)

19 REPLIES 19
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: How's your upload speed? (presales pondering)

Jack2359
Hooked

Thanks, no link, but if its this one http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/  you need to be connected to the phone line in question.  As I say, I don't currently have a landline or a landline phone number.......

/edit just saw the link in your sig.  but again, I don't have a landline or phone number.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Put your address in here and ask your neighbours. https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.address

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hey Jack. Thanks for your interest in Plusnet and welcome to our community forums.

If you put your address in the above link you'll be able to get a rough idea of the speeds available at your address down a BT line.

Let us know if you have any further queries.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Jack2359
Hooked

thanks. that link is dead, but this one

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Address?AEA=Y

just gets me back to "upto 1Mb" again, the vagueness of which was the original problem that I started with !

Neighbours polled so far have no concept of what uploading is!! I can keep chipping away at that one...

Do we know anything about up/down proportions of the overall Plusnet/ISP gateway with ?BT.  I'm wondering if I can draw any inferences from the downspeed forecast....

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

You'll be able to achieve essentially as much as your line can handle, we can't really find out more information until the line is provisioned.

What type of ADSL is available at your address? Is it ADSL2+ or just ADSL1?

For ADSL2+ it's up to 1mbps, but for ADSL1 it's up to 0.4mbps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Jack2359
Hooked

[quote]What type of ADSL is available at your address? Is it ADSL2+ or just ADSL1?[/quote]

not sure. 2 I guess..

https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WRWKEN

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

You should be able to find out by looking in the Featured Products column on DSL Checker.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Jack2359
Hooked

Hi I don't see a Featured Products Column, but I have a column called "ADSL Products" which indicates I have all of:

WBC ADSL 2+
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M
ADSL Max
WBC Fixed Rate
Fixed Rate

WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M indicates an upload speed of upto 1Mb/s, which is again back to where I started. 

By asking for real-life users real life data, I guess I was hoping to see if there people were seeing a maximum  ratio between up speed and downspeed. 

My existing (4G mobile) ISP has a hugely asymmetric gateway with its wholesale ISP, so although the download speeds are fine, the upspeed is useless (something that was conveniently masked in their marketing blurb by the old "upto" trick).

I guess I'm hoping to flush-out whether Plusnet have any similar global/policy issues which would make their upload speeds as disproportionately bad as what I've already got.

If existing customers could post their down & upspeeds, I could look at the ratios and maybe draw some inferences. 

Or if there is some better method of checking than "buy a 12 month contract and hope it turns out OK", I'm all ears.  Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The type of broadband service that ADSL is that by its very nature is asymmetric unfortunately.

As an example, on a line with a downstream sync rate of 20.9mbps there's an upstream sync rate of 0.96mbps.

Hope this helps.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Jack2359
Hooked

there will be asymmetry of course, but I'm interested in the extent of that asymmetry.  

In your example, the upspeed is 4.5% of the downspeed.  Can you say if there is anything in Plusnet's policies or  network dimensioning that limits that ratio and if  so, at what value?  thanks. 

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@Jack2359 wrote:

WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M indicates an upload speed of upto 1Mb/s, which is again back to where I started. 

Annex M is not a standard component of the BT / Plusnet offering.

By asking for real-life users real life data, I guess I was hoping to see if there people were seeing a maximum  ratio between up speed and downspeed.

There isn't one!

I guess I'm hoping to flush-out whether Plusnet have any similar global/policy issues which would make their upload speeds as disproportionately bad as what I've already got.

The performance of any given line is determined by local conditions subject to the general contraints of the underlying technology.  The checker you've used gives you the 'expected' local performance.  You could gauge the actual performance by talking to neighbours.

Reading the data here may help?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Protech
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

When it comes to ADSL it really is a how long is a piece of string ( copper wire 😉) question as to what performance you will get. The wholesale Checker will give you an indication for your postcode.
FWIW the following speed test is for an adsl2 connection I have access to and is fairly consistent using a plusnet supplied hub zero.
HTH
You can check out but you can never leave ( easily)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No, we don't restrict or limit throughput and as of about this time last year we removed our traffic prioritisation policy though that didn't used to restrict speeds, but more prioritise bandwidth within your home network.  

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet