cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much would going "Pro" help?

gnicholson8
Grafter

How much would going "Pro" help?

So, I have A LOT of P2P traffic and a lot of what I download are large (30GB +) files from a dedicated server,
The servers can max out my speed (they're set to share via P2P at a max of 150Mbps per user so maxes out my connection within minutes)
Obviously I know traffic management if run on the line and P2P is listed as Bronze, so it maxes out at about 6.5MB/s (65Mbps) (however averages around 5.5-6MB/s and I saw I can upgrade to Pro and it would list P2P as Gold on the traffic management table,
My question is, before going a head and possibly adding the Pro onto my account do you think I could expect to see an increase in my P2P speeds and hit the max connection speed of 8.5-8.75MB/s (70Mbps which is what I can achieve via HTTP) or would it not be affected that much?
To give an example of how much I am using, I am hitting around 80GB a day in data with around 85+ % being P2P based.
18 REPLIES 18
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: How much would going "Pro" help?

Do you see ~65Mbps all the time?  Or does that speed fall at peak time?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
gnicholson8
Grafter

Sorry, I miss calculated there... It maxes out at 6.5MB/sec which is 52Mbps not 65Mbps
I'll explain as clearly as I can, I made a pigs ear there.
My line runs about 68-70Mbps on average
My P2P data never surpasses 6.5MB/sec (52Mbps)
Peak times it does drop to around 5.0-5.5MB/sec (44Mbps) however it only does this sometimes, sometimes it doesn't drop at all but I can't seem to get it passed 6.5MB/sec
I know it sounds a little silly and 6.5 is a VERY good speed but I know the line can do more and as a large proportion of my traffic is made up of P2P I want to get the best I can I was just curious if getting pro would help push past the 6.5.
oruvin
Grafter

I've got Pro addon and didn't notice any improvements, P2P speeds are lower than HTTP and basically are the same as yours (~50mbps). Don't bother.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

I would shy away from having the Pro add on based on that usage habit. Without it, you could keep those downloads going knowing that it someone fires up some streaming, or web browsing it will always take priority.  Pro would put the P2P in the same queue as the streaming and browsing and could cause problems.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
gnicholson8
Grafter

Ahhh Kelly, I am not worried about the management of the stream my end (I can and have done for years) managed that myself, I was just wondering if Pro would give me the bit of bandwidth kick to get passed the 6.5 I seem stuck at.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Plusnet should have sufficient bandwidth such that having Pro shouldn't make the slightest difference if the P2P task is the only one running. If Plusnet don't have sufficient bandwidth Kelly should be making sure they do.
David
gnicholson8
Grafter

Well All I know is I can't hit peak speeds with the P2P traffic (even when nothing else is running on my line)
picbits
Rising Star

How many simultaneous connections do you have when you are maxing your P2P connection ? It could be down to extra overheads per peer or something like that ?
Not my area of expertise though but something to potentially consider.
davidwalker900
Grafter

p2p runs off a pc basely it depends if someone is downloading from you will get low speeds around some times it depends on the package you have i never add it.
if it is unlimited package or fibre it runs near the same it is not much notice on it.
if you on unlimited plan it is the same with pro
and it depends on the network card you have in the pc too
gnicholson8
Grafter

The torrents I am downloading are not actually being shared by other people.
It's coming from a single connection, single machine (dedicated server with a guaranteed 150Mbps
I am running a Gigabit card and I know it's not my network, I've had faster P2P from the same set up before and even faster transfer speeds.
davidwalker900
Grafter

you never get that 150mbs download from a dedicated server with a guaranteed it depends on the download upload you have with the provider not a dedicated server speed
picbits
Rising Star

Gotcha - I'd offer to test it from a Linux VM on my network but I max out at around 65-68Mb at the moment anyway (not quite close enough to the cabinet but a big improvement over my previous 5-6Mb lol).
Offer is open if it helps and you want a second opinion Smiley
gnicholson8
Grafter

Quote from: davidwalker900
you never get that 150mbs download from a dedicated server with a guaranteed it depends on the download upload you have with the provider not a dedicated server speed

what I am saying is the server I am downloading has the capability of maxing out my connection.
Dom, I may take you up on that offer, I'll let you know Smiley
davidwalker900
Grafter

theres not much diff haveing pro add on if it is a unlimited plan thats all i am saying i am online gamer and i do not have a pro addon i do not understand why should you add pro on your net connection basely you will be paying for near the same i did quit p2p shareing becuse it very slow down the pc and you can't do noning