cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much difference would you expect from the Master Socket?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: How much difference would you expect from the Master Socket?

That sounds like a line fault.
I have the same problem but haven't got round to reporting it.
Can you try this
Disconnect your phone completely then try ringing in from your mobile and see what happens to the errors and the noise margin
gwowders
Grafter

I've dug my old BT Voyager modem out of the loft, connected it up and so far all seems to be working much better, although thats only an observation after about an hour.  If it continues like this my Belkin N is going back (too many blue lights anyway).
I'll keep you informed...
gwowders
Grafter

Well, the new router was performing much better until now.  I've started getting the disconnects again and my line speed has dropped from c.2700 down to c.500.  Apparently my line is currently being upgraded to 21CN so I should expect 10 days of training - does anyone have any experience if this training period looks anything like the issues that I am experiencing (constant disconnects and massive fluctuations in line speed)?Huh
I'll try and avoid constant reboots of the router to see if this makes any difference...
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I didnt notice any change when my exchange went 21 cn also you dont get automatically put onto ADSL2
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi gwowders,
The order currently placed is to move you onto ADSL1 (up to 8Mb) on the 21CN network, this is due to complete on the 14th May. As you're still on BBYW option 2 I don't think you'll be getting the up to 20Mb, however if you choose to regrade to Extra or Pro you'll get the upgrade then?
Hope that helps,
gwowders
Grafter

Hi Matt,
I placed the order to shift over to Extra a couple of days ago and apparently that should be completed at my next billing date at the end of the month.  I always assumed I was already on the ADSL Max (up to 8Mb) service and that the 21CN network change was just a nice piece of housekeeping from BT to make their life easier (and possibly improve my QoS).
Can you confirm that the change to Extra has been put through ok?
I commented on the ticket (for the 21CN upgrade) about the disconnects etc. and apparently they shouldn't be related so I've raised a fault.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Yep the move to Extra is still scheduled for the 28th, as that's after the 14th your order to move to the 21CN network will be complete and it's a 24 hour modify to move to up to 20Mb when you're already on the network.
On that subject I'm afraid we can't raise a fault to investigate the dropping connection until the 14th as the order that's currently in place will prevent it from going through - but on the bright side once the order is complete you should stop getting the disconnections.
Hope that helps,
gwowders
Grafter

So the move to 21CN *might* have been causing the disconnections after all???  Sorry to sound like I'm making you repeat yourself but it's different to what your colleague [mremoved] stated on my ticket this morning at 04:09.
jim:csa
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: gwowders
So the move to 21CN *might* have been causing the disconnections after all???

No, that wasn't what Matt would mean. Until your line is physically moved to 21CN, which is due to be done on 14th May, nothing changes on your line, so that change does not cause disconnections before the event, which I imagine is what the agent who answered your ticket meant. When the change is done your line is physically re-patched to disconnect it from a 20CN DSLAM and connect it to a 21CN MSAN. This takes a few minutes and that is the only "move-related" disconnection you should see.
In principle, when BT enable an exchange for 21CN it has no effect on 20CN connections, the new equipment is independent of the old kit. In practice? Wiring could get disturbed when BT staff are working in the exchange, power could be transiently interrupted, …. A disconnection could result from this - but one can only speculate about possibilities - no hard facts.
David
gwowders
Grafter

Thanks for the edit OldJim - I hadn't read the rules...  Embarrassed
Another interesting chat with Plus Net yesterday suggested that BT may have messed something up at the exchange whereby my voice and broadband circuits have become mixed - does anyone have any experience of this?  I tried to call them this morning but they ran a quick line test and said everything was ok.  I suggested that this did appear to be an intermittent fault and she didn't seem to think that there was much they could do.  Very useful.