cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long ......

Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

How long ......

...... should it take for the Stable Rate to come back up after the sync speed has increased on ADSL2+?
I'm asking because my connection has been synced at 9223kb or thereabouts since late Friday afternoon, yet the 'stable rate' page is still showing 3.5Mb, following some sort of external problem earlier that afternoon (when I was out, so I only have the router log to go by) when the connection was unstable for about 3 hours with lots of disconnections and reconnections.
When I got in, the connection had been completely down for an hour with no attempts at connection, according to the router log, but it only took me a couple of minutes to get a fast connection back without needing to reboot the router or anything like that. Later that evening I can see that there was a single resync without the LCP going down, but it kept to the same speed.
Over the last few weeks the sync speed has been going down slowly but surely and now it's back to what it was before that started!
It used to take 3 days to get the actual line speed back up to where it should be relative to the sync speed and I thought it was supposed to be faster with ADSL2+. Haven't had any problems with the connection for ages and ages till this latest 'incident', so haven't been frequenting this board and maybe things have changed without me knowing.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
22 REPLIES 22
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: How long ......

Hi Mad Moggies,
Looks like you had a stuck profile. I'm just performing some maintenance to resolve that, so it should be back up in a bit.
Jojo Smiley
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Thanks Jojo!
Just tried the BT tester again and that's still showing at 3500kb, same as stable rate page is still showing 3.5Mb but both are probably catching up.
Will give it a bit longer and report back later.
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

'Fraid all that's done is to change the sync speed from something over 9000kb to something under 9000kb, along with slightly increased noise margin. Time it's been at the slightly lower speed ties in with when you said you were tweaking the connection.
Still stuck with a profile of 3.5Mb when it should be over 7Mb now and would have been over 8Mb with my previous sync speed.  Cry
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Mad Moggies,
Can't really check much at the moment as our suppliers diagnostics are down currently.
Jojo Smiley
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Here are the latest BT tester results
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Checked again and BT tester still giving 3500kb and stable rate page 3.5Mb. Definitely a stuck profile as it's now 5 days since the connection has been stable after playing up on Friday while I was out and not online.
Going that slow is making Bejewelled Blitz on FaceBook all juddery and I fear one of my Friends might beat me!  Crazy
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Mad Moggies,
nice to know I'm not the only one addicted to that game Smiley I'll see if I can find out anymore info for you.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Mad Moggies,
I've just performed some diagnostics and reset the line. This should kick it into action before long.
Jojo Smiley
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Thanks.
I noticed it went down for a few seconds and wondered if that was you! Fingers crossed it speeds up soon. Smiley
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Just tweaked the sync speed this end via telnet to the router and have now got 10127kb (almost the fastest I've ever got out of this line!) but BT speed test is till showing 3.5Mb profile.
Seems well and truly stuck at the slower speed.  Undecided
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Hurrah! Now have stable rate/profile of 6.5Mb, which though not quite up to usual speed is a great improvement on what I was getting since Friday.  Cheesy
Thanks, Jojo, for giving it a kick.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Mad Moggies,
I still think we could do better. Your current sync rate is below what I would expect. What router are you using?
Jojo Smiley
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

It's a Netgear DG834PN.
Currently it's synced at 10127kp downstream and 1179kb upstream. The downstream is about as fast as the line will go, even on a good day and plugged into the back of the master socket*, especially as current noise margin is around 1db! I telnetted it yesterday (as mentioned previously) for a 3db margin, so it's been at that speed for less than a day.
Before that it was well under 9000kb. Usually it syncs around 9000kb and the line profile is usually either 7 or 8Mb.
* discovered this when I was having problems a couple of years or so back.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Mad Moggies,
When I run a line test I can see the 3dB SNR but I'm only seeing a sync rate of 8791.
Are you in the test socket now?
Also, I had a Netgear that synced at 15000-16000 but my Thomson would sync at 20004 so that could also have something to do with it.
Jojo Smiley