Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to switch router on and off ?

Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

How long to switch router on and off ?

Hi all
Do you have to wait about 20-30 seconds before you switch on the router or can you more or less do it straightaway ? - If the latter, will it 'damage' it in any way (if you do it that soon) ? - the router's a Technicolor 582n btw.
Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: How long to switch router on and off ?

If you're just switching the router off and then back on again (reboot), I would leave it 2-3 seconds then power back on. There's no definitive time to leave the router off though.
Cagney1994
Rising Star

Thanks Chris.
Gus
Aspiring Pro

Depends why and how often you do it.  But if you are trying to get a different gateway, that is the wrong way. Repeated rebooting of your router will make the BT system see a fault and that system will increase your SNR and lower your IP profile making your connection slower.  There are two parts to making a connection, syncing with the exchange and logging in.  It's the login/out aka PPP that is safe to disconnect to get a new gateway multiple times
If I have to reboot/power off/on my router, I only do it twice in an hour, any more attempts and BT hits me with higher SNR and lower IP profile.
So if its the PN supplied router, at Broadband Connection on the first page of its web interface you click Disconnect or Connect to safely get a new gateway
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Cagney1994
Rising Star

Cheers Gus. Much appreciated.