cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to recover IP Profile

pjemmanuel
Grafter

How long to recover IP Profile

My line is just recovering from a 10 day fault expedition, which although now fixed has left me with a very poor profile.
Prior to the fault, I was regularly syncing at 2.4Mbs + with a 2000 profile. During the course of the fault, my profile has been driven down to 130kbs with a similar sync speed. The fault was fixed yesterday, mid afternoon and since then I have returned to a 2.4Mbs sync speed again but I've not seen any increase in the profile yet. I know that in previous times it would take three days to get the profile up again, but isn't this adaptive logic supposed to lift the profile quicker if there is a large increase in sync speed? The sync speed has increased over 10 times from where it was yesterday, but after nearly 20 hours, the profile still hasn't increased. Am I going to have to wait till Monday to see the speed return to normal?
The next question is, am I going to have a battle to get the target noise margin reduced again. Prior to the fault the noise margin hovered between 1db and 5 db, but the line was solid at 2.4Mbs. Now, I'm getting the same sync as before, but the nois margin is up around 7-9db. I'm thinking if the target margin is reduced, perhaps I might be able to squeeze a little extra out of the line and get me a 2500 profile instead of the 2000 I had before the fault.
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: How long to recover IP Profile

3 to 5 days to recover the profile
The lowest default noise margin is 6dB what is your noise margin immediately after a resync
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Try running a BT speedtest, this seems to trigger things a lot of the time. It should not take 3 to 5 days for that % increase. Once the BT profile is up you need the PN one to catch up. Your target could be 6dB from what you've said, but if it is 9dB best wait to see how stable your line is before requesting a change. It will eventually go down automatically but this may take a few weeks.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

I was worried that it was going to take 3 days, but I thought I'd read somewhere that their new adaptive logic would change it quicker given the increase in sync speed. I did a BT test earlier, the profile was still 135kbs, it won't let me do another one yet, I've got to wait three hours between tests apparently.
Prior to the voice fault, the margin was always less than 6, usually down around 2-3db but it was very stable and rarely dropped. Now , immediately after a reboot, it is at 9db, and fluctuates bewteen 6 and 9.
I had a fault last year which was caused by BT moving lines in the area which resulted in my target margin being raised to 12db. This did not reduce automatically as I was told it would. Fortunately, Jameseh sorted that for me, but it still took a couple of months from the fault. This time is not quite the same though, I don't need the margin reduced to get back to my old connection speed, when the profile lifts up, I will be back to my original profile - it just looks like if the target margin is set at 9db, getting it reduced may give me just enough spare sync speed to lift the profile up an extra 500kbs to 2500. It would be nice if I could get it.
I'll just keep an eye on it, although after being without usable internet for a week, the kids are going a little crazy. With half term upon us, I need this back up to speed for next week or they'll kill each other  Cheesy
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

It may well take 28 days of rock steady (continuous) connection before DLM reduces the Target SNRM.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

Hats off to Anotherone, you were right, not 3-5 days to get back to speed, although I have been running BT speedtests as often as possible. I'm back to a 2000 profile today, just have to wait for PlusNet to update their systems now, hopefully they'll catch up this evening.
I'm not certain that the target margin has been set to 9db now though, it never seems to go above 9, but it's never below 6db, like it used to be. I'll see how it goes.
It would be nice to get an extra 500kbs of speed if the target has been set to 9db, but right now I'm happy to be getting back to where I was before the fault.