cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long should the the Technicolor TG582n router last for?

Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

How long should the the Technicolor TG582n router last for?

Hi all
As the thread title states, how long should that particular router last for? - Are we talking at least 5 years before it goes kaput?
I've had mine for about 2 and half years and if there's a problem with broadband, I'm not sure whether it's to do with the router itself or at Plusnet's end (or even at the exchange).
Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: How long should the the Technicolor TG582n router last for?

Modern electronics is fairly durable - much more so than kit we had say 20 years ago. And there is not a lot of stress on the equipment, such as on things like older TV's etc.
I have radios and hifi equipment that is well over 10 years old and still working just fine.
The only thing that could destroy a adsl router is high voltage spikes coming down the line as a result of lightning strike - I lost a router to that a few years ago.
But I would always have a backup router available even if a fairly cheap basic one. I think many here will use a more advanced router than provided by the ISP and keep that one as a spare.
If your existing router is working well, I would suggest looking around this forum for recommendations for a router and keep your existing one as a spare.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Modern electronics are also often built as cheaply as possible, I'd say 5 years would be the maximum life expectancy for typical consumer grade IT equipment. Things might last longer than that, but nothing lasts forever. The 582n also runs fairly warm.
I thought trying another modem/router was a standard part of the troubleshooting process. Personally I'd rather buy myself a new router than argue about an engineer fee, then at least I have a new router to play with.
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

How long does the average TV last - I've had them easily for ten years.
As a radio engineer - I can tell you that kit made 30 years ago was a good deal worse unless professional kit
Modern surface mount printed circuit boards build by machine is much better.
For computers the mechanicals is often the first to fail such as hard discs, DVD drives etc. No moving parts in the average router
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

There were various opinions on old routers in this thread recently.
I'm not sure a current TV is using the same technology as one from 10 years ago, LCD displays with LED backlighting is the usual now, but computer displays certainly wouldn't have always used LED backlighting back then.
I've got a Pentium 4 computer from 2002 that the core bits of still work. As far as I know, its original 80GB hard disk still works, although at some point began to emit a nasty high pitched whining noise when on. The CRT monitor that came with that computer lasted about 3 and a half years. The LCD monitor I bought to replace that lasted until quite recently, although at some point presumably a small EEPROM chip in it failed, the EDID vendor data changed, and now it tends to act as if the menu button is stuck down, so the on screen display menu pop up and continually cycles round the settings. If I actually clamp down one of the buttons, the OSD goes away, and it could be used. The only thing that has failed so far in my laptop from 2009 is one of its sticks of RAM.
I doubt there are many 10 year old ADSL2+ wireless modem/routers are in use. But then of course there wouldn't be, technology changes would have made them obsolete.