Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long is a 'short time' - Homepages maintenance

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: How long is a 'short time' - Homepages maintenance

My own staff webspace was restored only a couple of hours ago.
mikeb
Rising Star

OK, so now I'm

I finally got access to my F9 webspace via ftp on Thursday 17th January PM and found the data had apparently been restored from 15th January. No probs at all with that, a few minor updates later, all is back to normal and everyone's happy. Well almost everyone, because logfiles are missing for the day of the homepages disaster and the following day. Service.status then reports the data is lost but the problem is (presumably) fixed so that I thought was the end of it.  A bit of downtime, a recent(ish) restore meaning not too much to sort out in the way of updates and a couple of days lost logfiles.  Missing logfiles are a bit of a PITA and really shouldn't have happened due to PN having advance warning of impending doom, but hey, sometimes s**t happens and all that.  All-in-all, a bit chaotic but not a bad result.
However, today I find that my entire HTDOCS directory is effectively duplicated because it looks like what existed was back-up today 19th January (renamed htdocs 20080119....) and replaced with a new htdocs containing data from god knows when but the directory is dated 29/07/07. The restored data is at least as old as that which PN restored earlier in the week but it could quite possibly be older, who knows ! 
And not only but also, in addition to what appears to be a bit of a mess in the recovery process, there are still no logfiles being generated several days after the initial problem. The lack of logfiles also applies to my other (PN) A/C that apparently wasn't even affected by the homepages problem, at least not in so far as no access or lost data was concerned.
Grrrrrrr Sad What exactly is going on here ? service.status appears to suggest all is sort of well and my ticket response the other day, as I predicted it would, says all is now well and suggests I refer to service.status. 

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
mikeb
Rising Star

Oh dear .... still no logfiles on either A/C and support are apparently in denial:
Response to Ticket 23918661
I can confirm the log files for the time when the service was down cannot be retrieved, but i can confirm since then the log files are now generating again.
If you do have any further questions please do not hesitate to get back in touch.

Needless to say, I did get back to him and point out that the last update was 15th on the problem A/C and 17th on the other A/C and today appears to be 20th !  I can absolutely guarantee there should be data for each and every hour of each and every day of the year.
Also, no response as to what to do about the massive duplication of data.  I have 2 full copies of everything on my webspace and cannot delete the rogue directory due to permission issues. CHMODing 777 doesn't help in the slightest, still permission denied. Anyone have suggestions ?
Is anyone else finding data is still apparently being lost ?
... or are support trying to suggest that logfiles are still being regenerated and will be turning up sometime soon(ish) ?  Maybe but I rather suspect not somehow.

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
pengyou
Grafter

Is anyone else finding data is still apparently being lost ?

My most recent log file is the one generated on  the 15 January.
Having read about what happened to your htdocs directory I will need to check mine carefully.
xtralarge

I still have neither files restored nor access via ftp.  acct = 'klubber'.
cheers.
Neil
Ianwild
Grafter

Neil - I'll get onto it first thing in the AM.
Ian
Mark
Grafter

Morning all.
Bob has raised the problems highlighted here as an internal problem.
We'll keep you updated as soon as we have information.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I still have neither files restored nor access via ftp.  acct = 'klubber'.

This is being restored manually, sorry about the delay.
*edit*
Should be restored.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just updated the service status thread for this problem:-
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1200914101.htm
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
xtralarge

Quote from: Ian
Neil - I'll get onto it first thing in the AM.
Ian

Thanks for the call Ian, much appreciated Smiley 
sites restored 100%
Neil
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Chris
I've just updated the service status thread for this problem:-
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1200914101.htm

It would have helped if that had advised users that if they had made changes to their website after it was migrated over, the version in htdocs would be out of date and that they would need to replicate the changes from the backup copy to the live copy (I had to do that).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)