cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take to get a router?

Shoeless
Dabbler

How long does it take to get a router?

On the 18th of November I ordered a Plusnet broadband service.

On the 1st of December the BT engineer came around to install and test the line.   When can I expect to receive the router as I would have expected that it would have arrived by now.

I have tried to contact Customer Support but we're in an area of poor reception and the Live Chat function simply doesn't work wrongly telling me that I have AdBlocker installed (though how AdBlocker is anything to do with customer support I don't know).

Does anyone know of an eMail address of PlusNet who can help me with this issue?

22 REPLIES 22
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Re: How long does it take to get a router?

The routers are generally sent out to arrive just before the service goes live. There are two explanations for the delay, either it's stuck in the Christmas post or Plusnet have forgotton to order it, yes it does occasionally occur.

The live chat will not work if you are running a pop up blocker. This can be enabled by default in some browsers.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ianbeeton67
Grafter

Plusnets "award winning customer service" in reality is pretty poor, (well in my experience, router issues resulting in really slow broadband), my advice is find anothe isp.

Shoeless
Dabbler

I am sorely tempted to do just that and move to BT.

I came back to PlusNet as I was on them a few years ago before to do a stint of travelling and their support was great.  A wait of seconds and then if I wanted to speak to a proper techie I'd be through in just a few more seconds.

Now it seems that a wait in excess of half an hour to get to speak to someone (a previous call took 53 minutes on hold) and this is no way to run a business that I want to deal with.

PlusNet, in comparison to BT, are the Little Guy, and these are whom I tend to support.  But if BT can send an engineer around when they promise and does his job in moments then I wonder why I shouldn't go with them for the whole deal.

I understand that I have 30 days with PlusNet before leaving is difficult.  Well, let's see what they have to say in reply to this message and if they give me an email address for Customer Support.  If not, then I am and they can go and whittle their own spoons.

Thanks for the posts.   Muchly appreciated.

ianbeeton67
Grafter

My contract began on 20th november 2016, plusnet didnt get me the router till 12th december, no apology, no compensation. said router now looks to be the cause of my 3mb dl speeds, yet im paying them for a 17md connection. 

Thankfully talk talk have saved the day & are going to supply me with a 35mb fast fibre for a few quid more than I'm paying plusnet for there super sloooow broadband. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shoeless wrote:

I understand that I have 30 days with PlusNet before leaving is difficult.

14 days according to the Terms and Conditions -

9. Cancellation period

9.1. Unless our Service Terms say otherwise, we provide you with a 14 calendar day cancellation period which starts:

9.1.1. for services, on the day after we accepted your order;

@Shoeless wrote:

Well, let's see  ...  ...  if they give me an email address for Customer Support.
If not, then  ...  ...  they can go and whittle their own spoons..

Plusnet have NEVER had an email address for Customer Support !  Sad

Shoeless
Dabbler

Thanks you two.   So my fourteen days period of grace is over and I don't even have a router.   This is dreadful and it looks like I am stuck with PlusNet now for the duration of my contract.

Well, if the worst comes to the worst then I can use a dongle and carry on using the 3 network for my work but a broadband connection would have been nice.

And, Ian, if TalkTalk are the answer to your prayers then I can only wonder what manner of hell I have let myself in for as PlusNet were, once upon a time, a cracking outfit.

Things have clearly gone downhill since the days of Demon being the major ISP.

Thanks again.   If there's no broadband then there's always gin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shoeless wrote:

On the 18th of November I ordered a Plusnet broadband service.

So that makes your 14 day cancellation period due to end on Sunday 3rd December ?.

If you phone NOW you might have a chance of doing something about it !

Shoeless
Dabbler

Thanks.   That makes that tomorrow's job.

Going to research BT instead.  At least I can hitch-hike off other's wifi if I ever pass a dwelling with data open.

Again, much appreciated, thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck with trying to contact them at the weekend !

ianbeeton67
Grafter

Ohh, I agree plusnet were ONCE & the emphasis was on the once, a good isp, but from my issue they have been completely useless. I'm getting a dl speed on 3mb (on average) raised a fault ticket with plusnet & there advice was to switch to fibre, cracking assistance that was.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Shoeless wrote:

If there's no broadband then there's always gin.

Just make sure it isn't Sloe Gin!

Shoeless
Dabbler

One question further, folks.   If I used my own router would it be better, i.e. faster, than PlusNet's offering?   I have read comments on how poor their routers are in comparison to other routers.   So, apart from the firewall capabilities etc., would installing my own router make things faster overall?

Love the sloe gin comment.   Thumbs up from me and that's worthy of en ElReg comment.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@ianbeeton67,

To be fair you are getting the expected SYNC speed - your problem is DATA throughput speed, the cause of which has not been confirmed.  You also reported very different data throughput speeds depending on which browser you use - I think the jury is still out on your issue.  It is possible that the router is the cause ... but that is not a certainty.

The way you phrase the "Talk Talk can do better with fibre" comment seems to seek to imply that Plusnet (or any other ISP) could not do the same, which would not be correct.  Again TT are talking about SYNC speed, not DATA throughput speed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shoeless wrote:

If I used my own router would it be better

Yes, it is very likely another router would be better in terms of features, control, and firmware updates.

@Shoeless wrote:

If I used my own router would it be ...  ...  faster, than PlusNet's offering?

Probably not, unless you taught yourself how DSL works and obtained a modem that had the ability to adjust target SNR, and max sync rates,  to squeeze the last bits of speed out of your connection.

For a non-techie, you might find that a decent router could make your connections responsiveness much better IF an alternative router had a decent upstream QoS feature AND your upstream sync is above say 10Mbps (below that is hard to setup without lots of understanding, testing an patience).

@Shoeless wrote:

I have read comments on how poor their routers are in comparison to other routers.

It is adequate for anyone not trying to do something out of the ordinary (browsing, streaming, email),  but the moment you want to do something clever then you might discover the limitations.  I doubt whether line connection speed is any lower than any other standard modem.

@Shoeless wrote:

So, apart from the firewall capabilities etc., would installing my own router make things faster overall?

Is it possible to get better throughput from better equipment when configured correctly - YES.

Judging your technical knowledge from the way you asked your questions, I would say NO.

I think you would be wasting your money, as the gains would be small, unless you had better kit already.