Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take to activate

bradw
Grafter

How long does it take to activate

Hi all,
Just had a young lad from OpenReach come round and install FTTC but he left without the internet actually working.
I've put in the username and password from the connection settings page but getting authentication failed.
I've also noticed it still says "Always on broadband xDSL (Not Active)" under connection settings so am I right in assuming it will take a little while for it to be activated? (just wondering how long from other people's experiences with this)
Brad
9 REPLIES 9
mikehiow
Grafter

Re: How long does it take to activate

I'd give Plusnet a call - they can usually do it instantly AFAIK, as it should be activated the moment FTTC goes live.....
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi bradw,
Just had a look at your account and can see you've called in to ask us to activate the account. You're online now so just let us know if you encounter any issues.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
bradw
Grafter

Thanks, got it working.
Speed is a bit less than expected but still decent.
bradw
Grafter

Download speedachieved during the test was - 37.2 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-37.88 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 37.88 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 5.93Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps
Is there a way to increase the upstream speed?
Btw, overall very very happy with the service and support provided. Such a nice change from TalkTalk  Grin
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Looks like you've been provisioned on 40/10, either in error or because your line estimate wasn't that good. I'm sure Adam oor one of the other DC Team members will check and arrange for you be changed to 80/20.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
The 40/10 provisioning was because the estimated speed for FTTC on this line was 39/6.5 Mb/s down and up, so 80/20 would make no difference in this case unfortunately. I'd hope the upstream would improve but it may not do I'm afraid - probably worth leaving it a couple of days and seeing whether it does or not. If the speeds either up or down do increase, especially if they hit 40Mb/s down or 10Mb/s up then we'd be happy to look at placing a modify up to 80/20 speeds.
James
Grafter

To add a touch of clarity, these are your line stats (ignoring the profile)
Downstream Speed 39.1 Mbps
Upstream Speed 6.7 Mbps
You will not get any benefit out of being on 80/20 unless you are attaining the full 40/10 sync rates on 40/10. It just won't make any difference I'm afraid.
It's possible that your line might stabilise slightly higher, at which point we'd be happy to try an upgrade for you.
bradw
Grafter

Thanks for the explanation.
Is there any reason *not* to try 80/20 though? Would like to at least give it a try if possible Smiley
Brad
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As stated above, the fact that you're not syncing at the top of the range for 40/10 on either upstream or downstream means that there'll be no change if we upgraded you. Sorry about that.