Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does a Target Noise Margin change take to come into effect

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

How long does a Target Noise Margin change take to come into effect

Hi,
As in the subject, Support said they'd made a change at 12:10 yesterday, but it's still not come into effect.  I don't want to pointlessly keep disconnecting/reconnecting until the change is made, but on the other hand if it should have been effective by now I have the unappealing task of trying to call into support for an update.  I remember some changes reportedly take "up to four hours", but clearly this is much longer than that.  I'm a little concerned that either the change wasn't made, or for some reason it's reverted before I managed to connect at the new target.
4 REPLIES 4
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: How long does a Target Noise Margin change take to come into effect

The ccSNR Best Practice Guide says it takes 3-4 hours.
I thought that on 20CN, it was not possible to set the target SNR margin to a specific value (other than the default value), the only thing that could be done was to reset it to the default 6 dB. There is no need to disconnect/reconnect the ADSL manually at your end.
Plusnet should be able to check if the reset succeeded or failed, sometime fairly recently there was some problem with attempts to reset 20CN lines tending to fail, possibly because there was a new BTWholesale web interface / software that Plusnet use, but it didn't work properly with 20CN lines.
aesmith
Pro

Quote from: ejs
I thought that on 20CN, it was not possible to set the target SNR margin to a specific value (other than the default value)

That could be the case, it was a reset to 6dB that was supposed to have happened.  I finally had to ring support and it looks like the change wasn't made yesterday.  The guy today said he'd do it, and the change came into effect within the hour.
aesmith
Pro

Now the profile's stuck, or messed up or something.  Plusnet page shows a high rate, actually higher than our synch rate, but speed test shows the slow profile matching our lower speed at 12dB is still in effect.  It's getting a real drag to have to chase Plusnet about every single thing,  I've queried this on the ticket but no response. 
cedlor
Grafter

I am having similar problems - I have twice asked for a reset to 6db and twice they have said  the order has be sent. But it didnt happen
You would think they would have a system in place to check what they tried to do was done, or is that too easy. Instead we have to jump through hoops to
chase them to try it again.