cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long before you know your final speed?

asdfghjkl
Grafter

How long before you know your final speed?

I've only been connected two days, and noticed my first profile adjustment last night.
For the first 30 hours or so, I was getting a predictable 14ms ping, and 70.8 down / 18.9 up.
Current line speed (presumably: "current profile") according to Plusnet membership area was 78Mbps.
Then yesterday evening, that changed to 72.8Mbps, and my speeds dropped to 68.4 /  18.  Ping is now 21ms.
I realise there is a period of adjustment after first being activated.  I just wonder how long it takes before you know your final speed.  I'm surprised it dropped really because I'm closer to the cabinet than someone else in the street (a BT FTTC customer)  who has been getting 74 Mbps down for months.
I've long suspected that the outside wiring had been extended by the previous person who owned this house (using an electrician, not BT) and wondered if that was why I occasionally had noise problems on ADSL2+.  The BT Openreach guy didn't check that wiring when he came.
12 REPLIES 12
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: How long before you know your final speed?

Hi Dengov,
FTTC has a 48 day HOUR "open profile" period after which the DLM manages the line for stability - see http://community.plus.net/library/browsing/fttc-dlm-what-it-is-how-it-works/
Note that FTTC is highly sensitive to cross talk from other lines especially as the FTTC uptake increases, so expect that your line speed is unlikely to increase.
Is there any noise on your phone line - dial 17070 option 2.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

asdfghjkl
Grafter

There's a very faint, constant hiss, that I suspect most people wouldn't notice, but I wonder if that's the phone itself and not the line.  Unfortunately I have no other phones to plug into the line.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

We're due to take over your telephone service on 26/09/2014, so if you're having any problems with the phone line between now and then, it will need reporting to your current telephone provider.
I've had a quick look at your line, it seems that the speeds fall above your 72Mb down estimate so I think the line looks pretty good. There is the possibility that external factors such as crosstalk further uptake in your area of FTTC which could see the speeds fall slightly further but I'd think that your speeds are just levelling out at the moment.
asdfghjkl
Grafter

The throughput has definitely fallen a couple of gigs since the profile was reduced to 72.8Mbps.  This is even reflected when using BT's speed test.  It very consistently gave a result of 70.8 down when the profile was at 78Mbps.  Since it switched to 72.8, it's very consistently reporting a down speed of 68.4.
My neighbour down the street is still seeing 74Mbps down (slight more but not quite 75Mbps).  I just called him to check.  He's using the same BT Openreach modem from what I can tell.  I didn't check the model number but it looks the same.
Anyway, thanks for the feedback.  I just hope it doesn't go any lower. Smiley
Dhaos
Grafter

That could also be down to which gateway your connected to, my speedtests are generally always 72 meg, but if im connected to 1 of the new gateways (BNG-) i always connect 2-4 meg lower.
http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/
picbits
Rising Star

Mine has dropped from around 73-74 to 56-58 over 20 months.
It is however pretty much rock solid so I'm perfectly happy with what I am getting. I had an estimate of 50.4 so still above that.
To be honest with you, anything above 30Mb is more than enough and my upload has stayed pretty constant at 18-20Mb.
Dhaos
Grafter

I'm extremely happy with mine, i got a estimate of 66 meg, i originally got 74 then it dropped to 72 and has stayed like that the last 15 months, i guess not many people have fiber in my area Tongue
asdfghjkl
Grafter

Quote from: DomS
To be honest with you, anything above 30Mb is more than enough...

Right, but it depends what you're using it for.  If my son buys another 30+GB game from Steam (and he will) then 30Mbps instead of 70Mbps means the download speed is more than halved.  That is significant.
If my speed drops to 55Mbps then I'll wish I signed up for the 40Mbps package instead.  The estimated speed of 72Mbps appealed specifically for download reasons, not streaming, not web browsing.
asdfghjkl
Grafter

Quote from: Dhaos
I'm extremely happy with mine, i got a estimate of 66 meg, i originally got 74 then it dropped to 72 and has stayed like that the last 15 months, i guess not many people have fiber in my area Tongue

Good to know.  Hopefully won't drop any more than 2Mbps now as well.
asdfghjkl
Grafter

Quote from: Dhaos
That could also be down to which gateway your connected to...
http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/

City Lifeline House, London, apparently.
picbits
Rising Star

I meant to say that more than 30Mb is more than enough *for me* - I didn't mean to make a global statement for other users.
I tend to value my upload speed more than the download speed as I host my own email and web servers.
Dhaos
Grafter

Quote from: denguv
City Lifeline House, London, apparently.

You are currently connected to gateway ptw-ag02
Thats the line your looking for.