Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is interleaving setup?

FIXED
davidryderuk

How is interleaving setup?

Hi,

I signed up to plus.net about six week ago, and my connection has been live for the last four weeks. My connection has been relatively stable, and the speed about what I expected (~ 4 Mbps). I think there have been only been one or two occasions when the connection was dropped, rather than it being restarted manually.

However, I've been keeping an eye on the connection statistics, which suggest the line is quite noisy. The SNR varies from 5 dB during the day to 3dB at night. I've seen error rates between 50 to 1000 ES an hour, with there being a higher error rate whenever a higher sync rate is negotiated.

The reason for writing this post is I'm curious when interleaving and forward error correction is likely to be enabled, and if it would improve the quality of my connection?

I've got some information from my router, in case it helps:

DSLAM/MSAN type:             IFTN:0x71c8 / v0x71c8
Modem/router firmware:      AnnexA version - A2pvI042j1.d26q_rc1a
DSL mode:                          ADSL2
Uptime:                              1 day 0 hour 51 min 41 sec
Resyncs:                           4 (since 08 Oct 2017 08:00:47)

Downstream    Upstream
Line attenuation (dB):        51.5                 34.3
Signal attenuation (dB):     63.9                 34.1
Connection speed (kbps):  4847                923
SNR margin (dB):               3.9                   6.2
Power (dBm):                     0.0                   12.7
Interleave depth:                1                      1
INP:                                    0                      0
G.INP:                               Not enabled      Not enabled
Vectoring status:               Unknown        

RSCorr/RS (%):                N/A                    0.0000
RSUnCorr/RS (%):           N/A                    0.0000
ES/hour:                           217                   21.1

6 REPLIES 6
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: How is interleaving setup?

It sound like you may be on a 3dB line profile. It may be that DLM will increase the target SNR first before applying interleaving. You could also ask Plusnet to move you back onto a 6dB profile, I believe they have done this for other users before.

davidryderuk

It starts out with a SNR of 6dB, just after syncing, and then seems to drop over course of a few hours. So I think I'm still on a 6dB profile, and my router is just working very hard to stay connected. I've attached an example I recorded using the dslstats software. I've no idea if this normal or not. I've only started taking an interest in the router since I moved home, further away from the exchange, and noticed the internet was a third of the speed.

davidryderuk

p.s. Thanks for your help / interest.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Apologies for the delayed response

It looks like your service is on a target SNR of 6db, and INP 0 indicates interleaving is turned off:

Profile Info: WBC 160K - 24M No delay (INP 0) 6dB Downstream, UC No delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)

The current SNR margin is at 4.1

If it fluctuates it can sometimes indicate a problem with the internal equipment/wiring.

Unless you've tried this already, I'd recommend plugging your router into the test socket.

We could apply interleaving to your line to try to combat the few errors that we're detecting, though it'll likely have an adverse effect on the latency of your connection - which is usually important if you're a gamer [if not then no harm in adding it].

Let us know if you'd like us to add interleaving.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
davidryderuk

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I've got a filtered faceplate, which I requested when Openreach came to setup my telephone line. Is that sufficient to deal with any internal wiring issues? I tried turning off most of the electrical appliances when I moved in, to see if any of them were causing issues, but that didn't seem to make any difference. I live in a flat. I guess it's possible there may be some wiring issues in the shared parts of the building, but diagnosing those would be difficult, and beyond my responsibility.

I don't play any online games. The only thing which may be important is VoIP, but from what I understand, it should cope fairly well, and I'm happy to experiment. Please could you try switching on interleaving?

Thanks,

David

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

I've got a filtered faceplate, which I requested when Openreach came to setup my telephone line. Is that sufficient to deal with any internal wiring issues?

It should be, though just to be sure you could try using the test socket.

I'm placing the order to activate interleaving now. It should go through at some point tomorrow.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet